eMac wireless connection mystery

Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a used eMac (700 MHz PowerPC G4, Nvidia GeForce2 MX, USB 1.1, 802.11b, running on OS X 10.47) for my kids, and have been trying to hook it up to my home wireless network (Linksys WRT54G router, running on mixed 802.11b & g, which already has my two MacBook Pros on it) without success. I have done hours of research into this (including searching this forum) but haven't hit upon a solution yet.

I began with the cheapest potential solution, which was to buy an Airport card for $10 off eBay, which was very easy to install. After making sure it was recognized by the eMac, I turned it on, and found my home network. I then tried to configure the network, but for whatever reason, when I type in my WPA password, it always says it's an "invalid password."

I tried turning off the security settings (though I have not idea why this would make any difference since WPA should be supported by my eMac) and the MAC filtering on the router, but no luck.

At this point, I would welcome any suggestions to try! Thanks in advance for your help.

OP
O
Reaction score
FYI:

Changing the WPA algorithms from AES to TKIP on the router setting did the trick. I have no idea what the differences are between these algorithms but who cares!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The eMac will have trouble to connecting to a WPA network, only the older, less secure, WEP.

The TKIP algorithm lowers the security to the eMac level. Have a read of this link. If you have a good strong password, say 13 digits both numeric and alphabetical, all should be well.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/711997

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.