upgrading mid 2010 mac mini processors?

Reaction score
Hi all, I am interested in upgrading my intel 2.4 to 2.6 . I think they are called p8600 and p8800 respectively. Im pretty sure it can be done but needed to double check a few times over to make sure before purchasing the p8800. I know its an option 'in shop' to upgrade so therefore I'm guessing that the chip is NOT soldered to the logic board. I have seen a few tear downs and the above seems true but I haven't found any conformation in black and white writing if you know what I mean! I even called apple support but they were a bit cagey about it and no-one really knew ? Anyway I found myself here... Im going to replace the 320gb hd with a owc ssd anyways and thought about doing the above as a sort of bonus while I'm inside the mac mini :). Also I discovered geforce have an 330m graphics chip ... so would it be possible to swop out the 320m also?
Sorry for long thread!

Cheers!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know its an option 'in shop' to upgrade so therefore I'm guessing that the chip is NOT soldered to the logic board.

Also I discovered geforce have an 330m graphics chip ... so would it be possible to swop out the 320m also?

The cpu on your Mac-mini is definitely soldered onto the logic board.

Yes...this Mac-Mini could haver been custom configured with a 2.66ghz cpu...but only BEFORE purchasing. And it's not like someone actually "swaps" out the 2.4ghz cpu for a 2.66...they simply send you a unit that's originally configured with a 2.66 rather than a 2.4.

Same thing for the 320m gpu. Soldered onto the logic board...and is not upgradeable.

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Well, thanks for peeing on my bonfire Nick ..... bah! o well ... Im still gonna swop out the hard drive for the owc ssd.
**** those soldered boards!
Many Thanks( I think :) )
Luke.

OP
N
Reaction score
2005 g4 mac mini super drive problem.

Hi all, I just purchased a g4 mac mini for the kids room so they could watch iplayer etc on it(which didn't work until I did a flash player hack). I got it for 90 gbp.it came with no super drive so i bought a used one to replace it. unfortunately it does not work well at all.. the whole thing just locks up and crashes ... I have removed it now but wondered why it won't work.
Many Thanks,
Luke.

OP
N
Reaction score
oops i thought i started a new thread sorry moderator could you sort the above out?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
N
Reaction score
Hmmm good point they SAID it was all working etc but i guess theres no way to test it or is there? also is the a way to put a hard drive into the area where the superdrive has been removed... the slimline cd socket is different to pata and can't find any adaptors ...
Many Thanks<
Luke.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm good point they SAID it was all working etc but i guess theres no way to test it or is there?

It certainly wouldn't be the first time someone sold a used part that was supposed to work & didn't (or if the seller had multiple drives...maybe they gave you the wrong one).

Also...if you're:

- 100% certain this specific drive is supposed to work in your G4 Mac-Mini
- 100% sure it was installed correctly
- 100% sure the G4 Mac-Mini doesn't have an existing problem related to the operation of the Superdrive (bad cable, bent pin, loose connection, etc.)

...then this would seem to indicate that the drive is bad.

- Nick

p.s. How do you know that this "flash player hack" isn't causing a problem?

OP
N
Reaction score
Well Im pretty sure its the right drive as I did a lot of cross referencing/research before I spent my £12. on it
but It could be wrong so not 100%.
I have built a few pcs myself and am pretty confident it was installed correctly.
The third point is also unknown but the superdrive socket is right above the pata socket on the same board which then slots onto the logic board and the hard drive works fine...
Many Thanks,
Luke.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All those "100%" suggestions were just to be completely thorough to eliminate any errors on your part.

If everything checks out (installed correctly, correct drive, no existing Mac-Mini problems)...then the only thing left is that the drive is bad.

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
O well Im not too bothered about the drive anyway it was only £12. after all . I can just use an external usb hard drive for films/music etc.
Many Thanks Nick!
Luke.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.