external hard drive question

Reaction score
Hey all -

Hope all is well with everyone. By following the instructions on Apple's website, I recently moved my time machine from one external drive to a new one. It seems to be working. I then proceeded to reformat the old drive. which I also believe went well. However, when I look at the illuminated capacity gauge on my storage device the gauge never went down to represent their is nothing on it. When I look at the Istat Nano overview of the drive it still shows that something is on it. Yet when I go to finder and look at the information, it tells me that 2tb of 2tb is free. Did i do something wrong? Should I be worried? Anyone know how to correct?
Thanks in advance for all support.

Hwilensky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
How did you re-format the drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you choose to erase the drive first before formatting? Although formatting should overwrite the previous data, it's always best to erase first.

OP
H
Reaction score
Did you choose to erase the drive first before formatting? Although formatting should overwrite the previous data, it's always best to erase first.

I am pretty sure I did. I could always do it again, as I have nothing save to it yet. I was waiting till I was sure I did everything correctly.

Hwilensky

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do it again and this time use erase. Also select the secure erase feature but don't allow it do any more than one pass. Otherwise you'll be erasing the drive all night into tomorrow! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Also make sure there's only a single partition

OP
H
Reaction score
Do it again and this time use erase. Also select the secure erase feature but don't allow it do any more than one pass. Otherwise you'll be erasing the drive all night into tomorrow! :)

Thanks for the response. Now when I go to erase, security, do I choose the fastest option or the one that is one over to the right, which says that it does a once over?

Hwilensky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can choose the fastest option

OP
H
Reaction score
You can choose the fastest option

Thanks Mr Plow. I did it and the results were mixed. While Istat nano says that I have the 2gb free. The external drive's illuminated capacity gauge still reads that it is a quarter full. Any way to fix that?

Thanks,
Hwilensky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does Finder say? Select the drive and look at the bottom of the finder window or right-click on the drive and choose Get Info

Out of interest which make and model of drive is it?

OP
H
Reaction score
What does Finder say? Select the drive and look at the bottom of the finder window or right-click on the drive and choose Get Info

Out of interest which make and model of drive is it?

It says 0 items 2TB Available. It is a WD 2tb my book for mac.

Hwilensky

OP
H
Reaction score
The capacity indicator needs the WD smartware companion software installed for it to work correctly.

I'd suggest heading to the WR support pages and make sure you have the latest firmware and software installed.

WD Support / Downloads / My Book / My Book for Mac

Mr plow -
Thank you so much for all your time and help, I appreciate it very much. It people like you that really make this board a real joy to come to for help and knowledge. Once again, thank you so much.

Hwilensky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.