• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Looking for: a good chat site :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
Hi all :D

im looking for a good chat site.. i'm beginning to miss the good ole chat days, and just wanted to know if any of you guys/gals knew a good site?
:black:

Reaction score
try chat.yahoo.com maybe

Just bother trying IRC, everbody signs on, then just sits there and doesn't chat, I'll never understand that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
mynameis said:
try chat.yahoo.com maybe

Just bother trying IRC, everbody signs on, then just sits there and doesn't chat, I'll never understand that.
Could it be that most of us have lives and more important things to do than chat on IRC all day? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
What he is trying to say is that why do they sign on then, if they are not going to chat?

I agree with 'mynameis', 90% of the people that sign on to IRC just do it because they want to tell their friends they use IRC, which I never understood.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rberry88 said:
What he is trying to say is that why do they sign on then, if they are not going to chat?

I agree with 'mynameis', 90% of the people that sign on to IRC just do it because they want to tell their friends they use IRC, which I never understood.
I do it so I can see conversations and pop in and out of the conversation. As for me specifically, the channel is registered to my nickname and so I need to maintain a certain amount of presence in order for the channel to stay active.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
rberry88 said:

So your saying people log into irc.. to brag? I think people just sign in, then never sign out because they know they will return sometime. Your not going to tell me you sign in and out of AIM or what ever service you use everytime your not chatting... Away Message people.. idle time... Does it even really matter if people are in the chat just chillin with their real lives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
<i>So your saying people log into irc.. to brag?</i>

Yep. Case in point. We have two people that go to our Linux meet each month that brag about IRC taking up alot of their time. We later were having drinks at the bar and they fessed up to knowing how to log into IRC but thats about it, they think it sounds cooler than saying they were on AIM. LOL

It doesn't matter to me, I was just agreeing with 'mynameis' that I think it is lame that people sit in the IRC channels all day without saying anything. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary. I do understand schwebs' point and understand it but for the casuall chatter it just doesn't make sense to me.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread about finding chatrooms.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
ha, yeah... I think what your saying and correct me if im wrong :D

You think its dumb that people sit in chat rooms.. and are physically at their computers... and don't say a word.. (even though, I guess it can be fun to read now and then if its a funny chat.. IE anytime im IN !!! buahah OMG ROXORZ!)

and what schweb and I are saying, is that we chill in the chat rooms, but either we're doing work, or we are not at our computers... and when we return in a few hours, its nice to have the computer all set up. Then, when we have free time we can just switch screens and talk if we so choose.. or just use our free time in real life :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
IRC is like sitting alone in a bar for a long time. you will ocassionally talk to your friends as they come and go and listen to peoples conversations and interjecting here or there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 12" - 1.33Ghz. 40GB, Ipod Shuffle 1GB.
hey I just wanted to know if anyone would be able to tell me a good # on mirc. I go there quite often and was wondering if there was something specifically for mac users. Other than that, its a personal preference if people want to chat or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fearlessfreap24 said:
IRC is like sitting alone in a bar for a long time. you will ocassionally talk to your friends as they come and go and listen to peoples conversations and interjecting here or there.
That's about the best description I've heard! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.