Huge "Other" bar on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
The "other" usage bar on my MacBook Pro has become HUGE and seems to be getting even larger--it is now taking up 109.7GBs of storage space and my computer has ground to a snail's pace. I can barely use it for my work. I've tried searching on Google and tried various suggestions, yet nothing has worked.

I am using a MacBook Pro 15' Core 2 Duo running OSX Lion 10.7.3, Photos are taaking up 20.61GB of space, Audio, 9.31GB, and Apps 11.29.

I think I have thrown away whatever I dared, but maybe there is more hidden stuff or some other secret.

HELP PLEASE!!

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Other can be everything that the system can't recognize. Like some some outlandish movie format. Or in my case, my Dad's Panasonic Camera's RAW files which aren't supported by Apple RAW.

Get yourself DaisyDisk or Disk Inventory X. DaisyDisk I find works better/faster than others.
With DaisyDisk I then start at the Root HD and then start clicking my way into whatever folder shows largest and repeat it until I know what it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Take a look at this recent blog article, it will explain a few thing about Other.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
M
Reaction score
Huge "Other" Bar on MacBook Pro

Hi, Skydude and everyone else,

Well, I did have my external unplugged, so I just plugged it back in. Do I do anything in particular now or just let it do it's back up thing, and then will it remove the large amount of "other" on its own?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Just let it sit, if Mac OS X needs the space for stuff you add it will remove the onboard backups itself.
Local snapshots are periodically condensed into daily or weekly snapshots to minimize the space used on your disk. If your disk is low on space, Time Machine stops creating new snapshots, and some or all existing snapshots may be removed to make space available for applications to use. If sufficient disk space becomes available again, Time Machine resumes creating local snapshots. This means your disk will have the same amount of available space as it would if Time Machine were not enabled.

OP
M
Reaction score
still not working

Hello, Everyone,

I tried reconnecting my external and letting time machine run, but I still have a huge figure under "other". After doing some detective work, I see that my home folder on my HD has a very large size shown, but that the contents of that folder do not come close to equaling the total shown for the home folder, itself.

Any ideas?

Thanks again, so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried reconnecting my external and letting time machine run, but I still have a huge figure under "other"
These on board Time Machine backups will stay on your Mac, even if you do a regular backup after. They do however get delete once Mac OS X sees that you need the space. So don't fret over it… or remove them yourself by disabling the MobileBackups feature and rebooting.

How to disable MobileBackups feature (TimeMachine local backups) on Mac OS X Lion

Edit: Brain error, just saw that it's under your users folder…
Have you got DaisyDisk or Disk Inventory X yet? It will make it a snap to find out what is going on. It also sees hidden files… which you will not see on the Finder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.