Terminal won't launch any program!

Reaction score
Hi all, I've got a big problem, I can't launch anything from the terminal, not python, not emacs (or aquamacs), not even 'which'.

I was using homebrew to try to install ffmpeg and was having difficulties so I decided to pay attention to the warning that always come up advising me to uninstall fink. I removed the sw directory from my root directory, which is what the fink website told me to do and was confirmed on many blogs and message boards after a quick google search.

And since then nothing has worked, I'm almost certain that this was the cause of the problem because after removing sw I immediately tried home brew again and it said 'brew: command not found'. I get the same warning with any and every program I try to launch.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Sounds like you deleted more than /sw. what was the EXACT command you used?

Oh and you're probably going to be better off reinstalling your OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What shell are you using?

Code:
echo $SHELL

Try this first

for bash
Code:
export PATH=${PATH}:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

for csh
Code:
setenv PATH ${PATH}:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin

That should at least get the base level stuff back - if you didn't break everything too badly. If that doesn't work then Dysfunction is right - you may be better off reinstalling

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.