My mac won't start up?? Please help!!

Reaction score
Hi. So this all started when I was watching a DVD on my mac. My computer froze so I restarted the computer. When the computer tried to start up again it made the chime noise, and that's all. No apple logo. The laptop sounded like it was trying to run the DVD so I ejected the disc by holding the trackpad button. The disc ejected and I restarted my mac. Again it made the chime sound, but no apple logo. The disc drive (which is empty) or around that area is making almost a clicking/beeping sound. The start up just stays on the white screen. Please help because I don't know what to do, and I need my mac up and running ASAP. I have already tried command-r and nothing happens. I have also tried restarting with the snow leopard install disc, and a lion install disc I made. Neither of which seem to do anything. I haven't installed or downloaded anything recently. And I do have a recent back-up of my laptop.
Here is what I'm using;
Mid-2007 white MacBook (I think it's mid-2007) it's intel though,
Latest version of lion,
I also have a magic mouse which I was using at the time of the incident.

Thanks for your help in advance! ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The clicking noise sounds like you have a failed hard drive. Do you have Snow Leopard DVD? If so see if you can boot from the DVD and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. You can also try rebooting and holding down Command-R immediately after the chime to see if you can enter Lion Recovery.

This is why it is an excellent idea to make a bootable USB thumb drive of Lion prior to running install.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have tried running from snow leopard but it doesn't do anything, I have also tried the lion install disc I made, but neither work. Command r also does nothing. I had a feeling it could be the hard drive. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.