apple hardware test

Reaction score
I am running snow leopard and I can not get the AHT to come up to use it. I have read the forums and have followed the instructions written by the MAC people and it does not work for me. Holding down the d key on boot up before the gray screen does nothing. Using the install disc and doing the same thing does not work. Is there anyone out there that can offer any suggestions??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You have to use the install disk that says it has the Apple Hardware Test on it. For my MacBook Pro, it is the Applications Install Disk, not the Mac OS X Install DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Put in the applications (I believe) disk and reboot holding down the C key, not the D key if you're trying to run from the DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Put in the applications (I believe) disk and reboot holding down the C key, not the D key if you're trying to run from the DVD.

D is for the hardware test. C is for booting from the main part of the disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
D is for the hardware test. C is for booting from the main part of the disk.

Yes, but if I recall correctly D tries to boot off of the hard drive AHT version (which sure sounds corrupted in this case). I think if you're running it off of the applications disk, you need to boot off of that.

OP
F
Reaction score
For some reason I do not have but one disk for the snow leopard that says install. I have my old disks for the version 10.4.10. There are two disks and one of them tells you to hold down the d key on boot up to get to the AHT. Can I use this disk or what/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The disk says:
"To use Apple Hardware Test, hold down the D key as the computer starts up."

I don't believe there is a hard drive AHT. Lion computers may have a hard drive version, but he mentioned Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For some reason I do not have but one disk for the snow leopard that says install. I have my old disks for the version 10.4.10. There are two disks and one of them tells you to hold down the d key on boot up to get to the AHT. Can I use this disk or what/

Is this a retail disk? Fancy white disk with Snow Leopard on it or a gray disk? If its the white disk, it won't work. You'll have to use the grey disks for the hardware test.

OP
F
Reaction score
It is a grey disk with the apple logo on it. Realize however this disk is for the older version 10.4.10 and I am running 10.6.8. So can I use this disk without a problem.?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, you can use your Tiger disk to run the Apple Hardware Test. Follow member Stretch's instructions.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It is a grey disk with the apple logo on it. Realize however this disk is for the older version 10.4.10 and I am running 10.6.8. So can I use this disk without a problem.?

As long as these gray disks are the originals for your computer. If they came from a different Macintosh computer...then they probably won't work.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Aht

Thanks to everyone who helped me. The gray disks that came with the computer when originally purchased were used. The one gave the instructions right on the disk itself. The disk I have that I used to upgrade to snow leopard does not have AHT on it.

The hardware test ran just fine and nothing wrong was found.

Thanks again for the help.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.