Open Folders On Desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, Late 2007, 2.4GHz (Dual Core), 1GB RAM, Radeon 2600HD OSX 10.6.8
Hi guys,

I am currently trying to improve my workflow and I am constantly using my desktop at part of this, primarily as a drop off for anything important.

I however do have a plan to separate everything on there into In, Out and Important folders however I would also like for the contents of the folders to be displayed. As can be seen in my very artistic representation attached, I wish to be able to see all my files when looking directly at the desktop. I however (For the sake of file management) want the files under In to be in a folder called In as well.
Does anyone have an idea on how to achieve this?

I'm not too sure if I am explaining myself very well, please ask for clarification if it is needed.

Thanks,
Madwolfe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,
You should be able to create a workflow to do exactly that with the Automator app. which is usually found in Applications.
You'll probably be looking at a 'Folder Action' scenario but experiment with a basic document and folder first and see how you get on. You can't break anything and you'll find the app really intuitive and interesting.

OP
madwolfe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have some experience with Automator and I've attempted to implement it how I think it would work however I am not getting the desired result. I hate to ask it of you but would you mind giving some more pointers?

I realised I forgot to attach my wonderful drawing of this before.

Desktop Plan.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have some experience with Automator and I've attempted to implement it how I think it would work however I am not getting the desired result. I hate to ask it of you but would you mind giving some more pointers?

I realised I forgot to attach my wonderful drawing of this before.

OK try this as a start.

Go Automator and select 'Application' as the type of template

Choose 'Files and Folders' from the Library list

Drag 'Get Specified Finder Items' across to the panel on the right

Add your folders into the list of Finder Items by clicking 'Add'

When you have done adding the items in, drag the 'Open Finder Items' across and drop it underneath the 'Get specified Finder Items' action.

Save the Application to the desktop.

Double clicking the Automator application should now open up your folders on the desktop.

You can drag other actions in if required.

Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 09.10.51.png

OP
madwolfe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Pendlewitch for your help but it wasn't what I wanted I'm afraid. I could have done what you suggested by double clicking on the folders :S (TBH, I'm not really sure if it is possible/easy to be done).

If you will refer to my drawing (I apologise again for it's crudeness), what I wish to implement is sort of a system of file management. This wallpaper here:
three-sections-small.jpg

shows what I'm trying to explain. Using a background like that, I wish to have my Docs all in one of the squares. At the same time I want all those Docs to be inside a folder on my desktop. It of course has to be automated or it will lose it's efficiency.

Thanks again for teaching me a bit on Automator though :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem.You mean that my super-automator app for discerning time-managers is no good ? :)

There may be a specific app for what you want kicking around.

That said there is a "Set the DeskTop Picture" action in the Files and Folders list and in there is an option to add different desktops within your OS (well there is in Lion in Mission Control).

You could manipulate Expose/Mission Control in Sys Prefs in conjunction with whatever you do also.

I'll give it some more thought in the meantime whilst I decorate the bathroom.

P.s. If you dragged the 3 open finder windows into position on the desktop and then closed them the automated app will open them in the previous locations that you chose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.