Leopard 10.5 install problem

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a problem that I turned my MacBook on and it showed the flashing question mark.

Luckily I backed up two days ago so I don't mind doing an erase and install.

So I put the disk in and it's showing no destination.
I looked on the net and saw its quite common but mine is a bit different.

I tried the check disk command and it just came up as a new command indicating that it had finished. I have left it for 8 hours and no luck.

When I check disk utility I get only the DVD drive showing and I'm really stuck here. The cd won't eject either.

Any ideas?

It's a mid 2008 white MacBook (non unibody) 250gb hdd and 2gb ram

Thanks in advance.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Yeah, it sounds like a dead drive. Or a dead SATA port - but you could only really tell if you tried a known working HDD with it.

Use the link loushien provided, this gives you a detailed run down on the process to replace a hard drive.

As a note - you need to buy a new 2.5" SATA drive. Once installed you can reinstall the OS using your Time Machine back up.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. That's what I thought originally. I took the HDD out and put back in and it worked fine, OSX is re-installed and should hopefully last until July when I get my MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.