"This installer requires admin privileges to run."

Reaction score
I have just recently switched from a Dell to a MBPro within the past couple of months. Today I tried to install my Diner Dash 2 computer game which says it is compatible with "Mac OS X 10.3.9 or newer." My MBPro is Lion, 10.7.2.

When I try to install the game, I have to go into Finder to find the CD; it doesn't automatically pop up. So I click on the "Setup" icon under "Diner Dash 2" and then I receive the message, "This installer requires admin privileges to run." and the only option is "Quit".

How do I remedy this problem? I right-clicked on Setup, Get Info > Sharing & Permissions and it says that I have custom access. Right-clicking on Diner Dash 2 itself and then Get Info > Sharing & Permissions says that I can only read.

I also went under System Preferences > Users & Groups, and it said there are 2 accounts: my full name as Admin (with my picture I took on the first day out of the box) and another one with my first name, also as Admin.

Could you please help me? This is my first Mac. Thank you!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
D
Reaction score
Note that I doubt that will work unless the program and installer are Universal Binaries. If it is Power PC code only then it will not run under Lion. I know that at least some of that series of games were released as Universal Binaries.

So, are you saying that you doubt my game will work on my Mac? How do I find out if my game is Power PC or Universal Binaries? Is Lion just too new for DD2?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
If it was a PowerPC app, Lion would just say "PowerPC apps are no longer supported" when trying to run.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The game appears to have been released in 2007 (the "Restaurant Rescue" edition at least) which was after the Intel transition so I'm guessing that it's, at a minimum, a Universal app. Like robduckyworth noted though, you'd have gotten a warning if it was a PPC only app.

Is your user an administrator? If not, try logging in as one and running the installer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So, are you saying that you doubt my game will work on my Mac? How do I find out if my game is Power PC or Universal Binaries? Is Lion just too new for DD2?

Note that some games or programs which are labeled as "Universal" may not work if the installer is coded as PPC. I have several of those and they will not install in Lion. I have even gone so far as to email the developers and ask for a work around to no avail. (Lazy developers.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Note that some games or programs which are labeled as "Universal" may not work if the installer is coded as PPC. I have several of those and they will not install in Lion. I have even gone so far as to email the developers and ask for a work around to no avail. (Lazy developers.)

I've run into this a few times. Unreal Tournament 2004 has been patched to be universal, and the patch is universal, but the installer is still PPC code.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.