Trying to figure out whats wrong with this old MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hey all -

I recently acquired a 2008 MacBook Pro (model A1226) from a friend who said it doesn't work. Trying to figure out what the issue is. He said he dropped it, then a few months later it stopped working.

He doesn't have the power supply anymore, so I'm trying to use my MacBook 60W power supply to get this thing to turn on. No luck. I've read and done my research that you CAN use a 60W power supply with a macbook pro, but it will either lose charge very slowly as you use it, or just charge really slow. My issue is I can't even get it to turn on. So I left it plugged in hoping it will charge it up enough to turn on.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It won't turn on until the battery is sufficiently charged. The 60w supply simply does not provide enough juice to run on its own.

OP
M
Reaction score
It won't turn on until the battery is sufficiently charged. The 60w supply simply does not provide enough juice to run on its own.

You think if I left it charging long enough it will charge the battery enough?

OP
M
Reaction score
Brought it to a store...turns out its the logic board. They want $340 to replace it. Im pretty tech savy and might be able to do this myself. Is this more complicated beyond the take out old board-drop in new board?

How much should I be expecting to spend for a logic board for a 2007 MacBook Pro model A1226? Is this even worth it?

Thanks for the help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Brought it to a store...turns out its the logic board. They want $340 to replace it. Im pretty tech savy and might be able to do this myself. Is this more complicated beyond the take out old board-drop in new board?

How much should I be expecting to spend for a logic board for a 2007 MacBook Pro model A1226? Is this even worth it?

Thanks for the help!

Check on eBay for an exact logic board replacement. Sometimes you can pick one up there especially from an older model for less. If you're tech savvy, you can replace it yourself with the step by step instructions from ifixit.

Since the MBP is a 2007 model, I personally wouldn't want to spend very much to fix it up. Maybe all total around $200 to $300 tops.

iFixit: The free repair manual

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.