I am soooooo very FRUSRATED!!!!!!

OP
justk
Reaction score
@TheMAcMania thank you so much for your website I am reading right now. I also digitally scrapbook like a maniac!!!!!!!! So your site was great!!!!!!!! @MRPLOW you are the answer to my dreams at this moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sorry I realize there are lots and lots of people who love iphoto but to me at this moment of moving over to Mac I needed to have something that was the same as what I was used to for the moment. My pictures being my business it had to be there before I could begin to learn the rest of the computer........After I learn the rest of the way a Mac works then I will be able to fully appreciate the way the iphoto works..........Thank you every one for your great advice and help!!!!!!! I have learned tons just reading and rereading these posts in this thread alone!!!!!!!!

C

chas_m

I know I'm in the minority here and I know I tend to bring this up at every iPhoto thread but.....

I struggle with iPhoto. To me the closed library system is awkward and non-Apple-like. iTunes doesn't feel the need to package eveything away!

Huh? iPhoto uses the EXACT SAME database system as iTunes ... the only real difference is that it's hidden.

So why is it hidden from the user? Because music is replaceable and photos AREN'T. The extra security is ENTIRELY designed to protect your photos from accidental deletion (which WAY too many people do WAY too often -- that's also why iPhoto has a separate trash!).

Getting images back out of iPhoto is unnecessarily clunky and unintuitive.

Dragging a photo to the desktop is "clunky and unintuitive"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I don't want to get into this argument again, I'm sure we've had it before.

But the iTunes library structure is just a set of folders - in the same way I have my photos.
The iPhone library is packaged. In fact if you search these very forums half the problems people have with iPhoto is where they messed with this package and lost images. So it's barely any protection anyway.

If people are likely to just delete photos from a folder structure they are just as likely to delete documents. Why doesn't pages and numbers package documents away to keep them safe?
I'd argue the iPhoto library structure is for the benefit of the software and developers than it's users.

Dragging a photo to the desktop is "clunky and unintuitive"?

Yes, because the end goal isn't to get an image on the desktop it's to manipulate it, upload it, send it, copy it etc etc.
So in the iPhoto world for many cases i have to export or copy an image to the desktop, perform what ever task I need to do then go and delete that copy?
That's clunky and unintuitive.

Try creating an online backup of selected folders in iPhoto. Try uploading to one of many online sites that aren't natively supported in iPhoto. You can't without duplicating all those images by dragging copies out of iPhoto. Then you're back to managing those pictures manually.

I know you like iPhoto. I've no issue if anyone likes it. Good luck, to one and all if they want to use it. If it suits the users needs and workflow then that's great.

But, as I've been at pains to stress before, iPhoto does not suit my workflow and doesn't perform the functions I require from a Photo organisation tool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Try uploading to one of many online sites that aren't natively supported in iPhoto. You can't with duplicating all those images by dragging copies out of iPhoto.

I think you meant without. Otherwise, your "argument" makes perfect sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Doh!

Sadly my Typo King crown remains intact .........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Try uploading to one of many online sites that aren't natively supported in iPhoto. You can't without duplicating all those images by dragging copies out of iPhoto. Then you're back to managing those pictures manually.

No, you're not. When I go to a website that requires me to upload a picture from iPhoto, you can easily do so without having export anything. When the Finder window appears to select what you want to upload, there's a media section in the sidebar toward the bottom. Click on Photos and you'll be taken to your iPhoto database where you can browse through events and select the photo you want. No need to export.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.