iPhone (semi) boot problem, please help.

S

Shine9585

Hi, I had a similar problem a while ago and the advice I recieved was to do a full restore.

That was a shame, but it worked. One side effect of this was that I couldnt restore to 5.01, meaning I was running 5.1. I also opted not restore to a backup, but had a fresh start.

Thats fine, initially I planned to wait for an untethered jailbreak but got impatient and then did the semitethered jailbreak from redsn0w.

Having installed a cydia app/tweak (i cant remember which at the moment, I believe it was a tweak rather than app, the name will come back to me im sure) my iphone froze and had to be reset. Since then it wont 'boot tethered' using redsn0w (the pineapple logo just stays on the phone).

Fortunately being semi tethered I can still boot un jailbrooked, meaning a) i can still use the most important functions of the phone, and b) I know the issue is jailbreak/jailbreak app related.

So my questions are as follows

1. Can I fully remove cydia apps and tweaks when not in a jailbroken state?
2. Could removing the offending tweak/app fix the problem?
3. If I restore from a phone back up, are the cydia tweaks/apps backed up too? I assume this is whats marked as 'Other' in the iphone storage bar in itunes.

Thanks in advance for any help, sorry it was a bit long.

Stu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
1. Doing a full restore via iTunes will remove all Cydia and jailbreak tweaks.
2. Possibly, but its hard to say, jail breaking can cause weird issues sometimes
3. Nope, Cydia stuff (apps, settings, etc) are not backed up in your iTunes backup.

OP
S

Shine9585

1. Doing a full restore via iTunes will remove all Cydia and jailbreak tweaks.
2. Possibly, but its hard to say, jail breaking can cause weird issues sometimes
3. Nope, Cydia stuff (apps, settings, etc) are not backed up in your iTunes backup.

Thanks for the tip.

Is there a way to remove individual cydia apps (or more specifically tweaks which dont appear on the dashboard)? Perhaps an all files log from the appstore.

I also assume then that itunes showing 'other' just means that it acknowledges the data is there? Thats pretty much what I thought, but I just wanted to check because when i boot unjailbroken with the semitether the apps are there just unusable.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There should be an installed section on Cydia where you can see everything you've installed via Cydia. Just select and remove from there.

Other is anything that doesn't fall under the predefined categories listed. It can be extra app data, setting, emails, messages, etc. Cydia stuff would probably fall into that category too.

OP
S

Shine9585

There should be an installed section on Cydia where you can see everything you've installed via Cydia. Just select and remove from there.

Thanks, I am aware of that function, but the problem is though that my phone will only boot into the non jailbroken state, so i cant open cydia to do that.

Other is anything that doesn't fall under the predefined categories listed. It can be extra app data, setting, emails, messages, etc. Cydia stuff would probably fall into that category too.

That kind of contradicts what u said before. You said cydia apps wont back up, yet if 'other' also contains data which is backed up 'app data, setting, emails, messages, etc' then why wont they be too?

Also when you said earlier that cydia a full restore removes cydia apps, what about a 'restore from back up'?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cydia files are there in the sense that they are taking up that space, but that's it. iTunes doesn't save it really. You can't restore a phone into a jailbroken state. That graph just shows what it taking up space on your iPhone, that isn't a list of everything that is backed up.

OP
S

Shine9585

Cydia files are there in the sense that they are taking up that space, but that's it. iTunes doesn't save it really. You can't restore a phone into a jailbroken state. That graph just shows what it taking up space on your iPhone, that isn't a list of everything that is backed up.

Thanks, i didnt think that restoring to a jailbroken state was possible, just wondered if the apps and stuff would be there but unusable. Like right now when I am booted unjailbroken with semitethered jailbreak.

Which brings me back to the other question.

Is there a way to see and remove individual cydia tweaks that arent visible on the springboard in this current state. (semitethered jailbreak, unable to boot jailbroken and having to boot unjailbroken)?

The reason i cant boot jailbroken is that it wont load past the pineapple logo, after freezing while installing a cydia app.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.