Sucking Memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GB Intel Core 2 [email protected] 750GB HDD
In the last 2 days I have noticed something is sucking my memory. I am running free memory and if/when I open FF I can watch my memory go from 6GB free (give or take) all the way down to less than 3. Once it gets below 4-5 GB free I get the spinning wheel and have to re-start my laptop.
I updated Office 4-5 days ago but that is the only update I have done recently. It happens regardless of what other software is running or not running. It happens whether I open 1 tab in FF or 4. The only thing that changes is the speed with which the free memory drops, the more tabs open the quicker it drops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
The next time you see this happening, fire up the activity monitor and sort it by Real Memory.
The largest user of your RAM will be listed at the top, and I will hazard a guess and say it's Firefox. Note that the more extensions Firefox has installed, the more RAM it will use. Even if it's just sitting there with one page open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Workstation Airport Extreme ATV 2 Ipad
The next time you see this happening, fire up the activity monitor and sort it by Real Memory.
The largest user of your RAM will be listed at the top, and I will hazard a guess and say it's Firefox. Note that the more extensions Firefox has installed, the more RAM it will use. Even if it's just sitting there with one page open.

Well what is much I do normally run Firefox .
Now it is Firefox 12 with WOT and ADD Block Plus installed .
While I am typing this it takes 235,2 MB
That is really not much

OP
NAVET
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's the weird thing. I haven't updated or added anything to FF. Yesterday I could run FF with 4 tabs open and have no problems whatsoever. Today I get 2 open and the whole problem begins. I opened the Activity Monitor and FF just keeps sucking up memory until it locks up and I have to force quit it OR restart my laptop.

OP
NAVET
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well apparently when I updated DivX it added a movie extension to FF that required a HUGE amount of memory. Extension disabled, problem solved. Thanks for the help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.