Magic mouse and AppleTV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro early 2012running Mavericks,MacMini Core i7 running Mavericks: iPhone 4s, iPad 3rd Gen
I bought a new17 inch MBP and am displaying it on my LG 43 using AppleTV.
Running latest version of Lion
I looks great but I am having problems with the mouse.
I have a Bluetooth Apple MagicMouse and keyboard.
The mouse is jerky and sometimes freezes for a few seconds.
This is so bad it is practically unuseable.
I have tried increasing and decreasing the tracking speed but it does not help.

Any help appreciated.

C

chas_m

Well, let's start with basic troubleshooting. I'm not familiar with the current Apple TV, but I did not know that you could mirror your Mac through it -- I thought that was coming with the next version of the OS (Mountain Lion). How exactly is this working?

What happens if you turn off the Magic Mouse and use a wired mouse instead? Same problem? No problem?

What about if you sign into a different account (you can just use the "Guest" account for this)?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro early 2012running Mavericks,MacMini Core i7 running Mavericks: iPhone 4s, iPad 3rd Gen
OK, I will give this a try. I will need to go and borrow a wired mouse, so I will let you know
I should also of mentioned, I am using AirParrot to display on ATV

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried a wired USB mouse but it is just the same
as for the Guest account, it only allowed me to use safari
therefore I was unable to setup the mirroring

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
what about your mouse pad on the keyboard ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Have you changed/charged the mouse batteries?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should also point out that my iPad and iPhone work perfectly through AppleTV and AirPlay.
No delay or sluggishnes.

I am thinking that this may be an AirParrot problem.

At least I can look forward to Mountain Lion allowing AirPlay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
When you say 'increasing and decreasing the tracking speed' do you mean in your Mac's System Prefs ?

I say this because there are some optimising sliders in Airparrot for adjusting Underscan, Video Quality, Max Frame Rate etc which may have a bearing on your problem.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you say 'increasing and decreasing the tracking speed' do you mean in your Mac's System Prefs ?

I say this because there are some optimising sliders in Airparrot for adjusting Underscan, Video Quality, Max Frame Rate etc which may have a bearing on your problem.

I was referring to Mac's System Prefs but late last night I increased the frame rate to 60 in AirParrot and am seeing an improvement. Still not right though.

I have had contact from AirParrrot and they are suggesting I change channels on my Router.
I was going to try that this morning and I will post the result later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok hope that you get it sorted. What resolution is your TV outputting as a matter of interest?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could also try altering the native resolution on you MBP for example to 1152 by 720.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok hope that you get it sorted. What resolution is your TV outputting as a matter of interest?

1920 1080
Its an LG 42 3D set
Although I am not using the 3d in this matter.

As I said earlier the new iPad displays brilliantly and the newest iPhone

Double tapping and swiping mirrors instantly with no sluggishness

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Changing channels on the router did nothing at all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think it is the source rather than anything else.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you elaborate
By source do you mean the MBP ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you elaborate
By source do you mean the MBP ?

Yes (Apologies for the brevity...Sunday is a busy day).

I suggested earlier that you may wish to alter the resolution on your MBP. I would try that and also follow this guidance from AirParrot's troubleshooting advice as an alternative.

"I expected higher quality from AirParrot.

If you need the best quality and performance, you need to set your screen to the native resolution of the AppleTV 2 (1280x720) or AppleTV 3 (1920x1080). This will eliminate scaling and other artifacts. The preferences for AirParrot will allow you to find the best trade off between speed and quality of video. The closer your AppleTV and Mac are to your Wi-Fi access point, the lower the latency and the better the quality of video you'll see! "

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The TV , ATV , Router and the MBP are practically touching each other and I followed all the advice from AirParrot but only the frame rate made any difference, however slight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The TV , ATV , Router and the MBP are practically touching each other and I followed all the advice from AirParrot but only the frame rate made any difference, however slight.

Ok. Can you alter the frame rate on the TV ? For example my Samsung Series 6 has multiple fine tuning options for 100Hz Motion Plus? (I don't use it because my ATV2 passes through my AV amp which is set to Auto)

Also can you check what version HDMI cable it is that you are using and swap it out at all ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.