Office 2011 & Macbook Pro on OSX Lion

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm new to the forum, but looked around for about 30 minutes and didn't find any threads on my particular issue. I have a 6-month old MacBook Pro with Office 2011 installed on OSX Lion (had to - it's a work thing, otherwise I eschew MS).

I noticed that when I try to use the standard small circular solid black bullet points in Word documents, they show up as a rectangle, as if the OS can't find the font/character. I can use the arrows as bullets, the small square bullets - everything from the Symbol font, but not the default circular bullets.

I could get over it, I imagine, but it just BUGS me, you know?

Any thoughts on things to try would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Were you able to use the round black bullets before you installed Lion?

No problem here with Office 2011 and Lion. I suspect that as you say, there may be some fonts missing. Office installs its own set of fonts here:

MacIntosh HD/Library/Fonts/Microsoft/

If the fonts are OK, there may be a problem with either the normal template or possible corruption when Word was installed. You can remove the normal template and Word will create another, however, if there is corruption you'll need to remove Office 2011 and reinstall.

OP
K
Reaction score
Never worked correctly

I'll try deleting the template - thanks for the idea. I actually bought the MacBook with Lion installed, so Office was clean-installed on top of it. Everything else works just fine - all other symbol fonts - just this one. Weird. :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Well, I deleted normal.dotm, that didn't work. I uninstalled and reinstalled Office - that didn't work. I used Font Book to clear out duplicates and validate my fonts - that didn't work. Then I read on another thread on here that a user had used Font Book to disable User Fonts. I gave it a try, and it worked. I now have all the correct bullets showing up in docs. Not sure what, if any, issues disabling user fonts may cause, but for now it's working. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear you resolved it although I'm not quite sure what the user fonts have to do with fonts that MS uses for Office. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps some of the fonts you had in your user fonts folder were interfering with the MS fonts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.