How to Stop MacBook Pro from going to Sleep?

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Sorry if this question been answer somewhere around here before but I'm very new to this whole mac thing.
I bought my first ever Mac few days ago and I'm having trouble
figuring out how to stop it from going to sleep every 5-10 minutes when I'm not doing anything on it.

For example; I hate to have to enter password every time when I'm at home and just waiting for some files that I'm uploading or downloading to finish just because I wasn't doing anything on my Mac.
The only time it doesn't go to sleep is when I'm watching some videos in full Screen.
Is there any way to avoid/stop Mac from going to sleep?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
 menu > System Preferences > Energy Saver

you can set sleep times separately for when the Mac is running off a battery while you are on the move and when it is plugged into a power adaptor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can also get a free tool called Caffeine that lets you set a period where your Mac will stay awake.

e.g. click on Caffeine in the Menu bar and it will stay awake for xxminutes/hours or until you click it again or shutdown.

That way you can leave your energy settings intact for when you're not at home etc

C

chas_m

It sounds to me like his SCREEN is going to sleep, not the computer. As suggested, you can adjust this in Energy Saver settings -- but of course be aware of the effect this will have on your battery.

It also sounds like you've got some kind of screensaver that requires a password to get out of activated. Turn off all that silly stuff in the "Desktop and Screensaver" and "Security" preferences of System Preferences.

Reaction score
Caffeine was the only thing that worked for me

You can also get a free tool called Caffeine that lets you set a period where your Mac will stay awake.

e.g. click on Caffeine in the Menu bar and it will stay awake for xxminutes/hours or until you click it again or shutdown.

That way you can leave your energy settings intact for when you're not at home etc

I tried all the energy settings and many other suggestions, but the only thing that kept my computer from logging me out after a while was the Caffeine program. I was skeptical at first, because I'm a long-time PC user and gamer, so I'm totally used to fiddling with energy settings and whatnot to accommodate the demands of games on a laptop. But now that I've got a Mac, I'm finding it doesn't seem to do what it says it would do (e.g., sleep "Never"). But I downloaded Caffeine, which was quick and painless, and now I just have this little icon in my tray that I can toggle on and off, and it totally works. Highly recommended.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 11.1, 13,3", 2,4ghz, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd + Ext Seagate 1TB 3.0, macOS Sierra

I also recommend Caffeine... Very simple to use... Very useful, and always handy...

C

chas_m

I wonder if the OP hasn't set a hot corner accidentally and is (again accidentally) triggering it every now and then ... I know I hate it when I accidentally mouse down to the lower-left corner of my monitor, which induces display sleep. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.