2006 mac mini trouble loading 10.6

Reaction score
i had 10.5.8, loaded 2gb memory, fired it up and put it thru paces to make sure all worked ok.& it was fine.
loaded 1/3 of 10.6 and stopped w/fail message, I did restart and it began again and further loaded about 2/3rds this time, then fail message again after blackout.. I realized I hadnt turned off screensaver/sleep feature now it wont boot either from old system, old software disk or from the new disk tried holding c key with disc in screen just shows a grey icon that looks like a file folder w/a question mark.
Please advise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And the 2005/early 2006 Mac Mini was a G4 and Snow Leopard will only install on an Intel model.

OP
R
Reaction score
And the 2005/early 2006 Mac Mini was a G4 and Snow Leopard will only install on an Intel model.

yes it's an intelmodel and quite capable of handling SL.

BTW, I am trying to load a legal retail version of SL.
What are you suggesting, chas_m?

This is a firmware password problem!
Before commenting-please carefully read my orig post here.
Thank you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What happens when the install failed? What was the error message?

With the Snow Leopard DVD in the drive, what happens if you hold down the C key right after the Startup sound and keep it down?

It sounds like either the 10.6 DVD is dirty or the Optical drive is failing or dirty.

Also try booting with the Option key down after the startup sound.

Report back.

C

chas_m

yes it's an intelmodel and quite capable of handling SL.

I assumed you meant that.

BTW, I am trying to load a legal retail version of SL.
What are you suggesting, chas_m?

I'm suggesting that that's generally the most common issue when someone has trouble loading Snow Leopard onto an Intel Mac.

This is a firmware password problem!

And your original post told us this ... where exactly?

If you don't want assumptions made about you, maybe you could start by not making assumptions yourself, eh?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.