Buying Advice: Mac-Mini or Macbook Pro ??

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was looking to get opinions on what would be the best Apple device to get for my home. I have an old desktop that's showing its age, and am interested in getting involved in Apple, so was thinking about getting a mac mini or a Macbook Pro (MBP).

It seems that I can get a used Mac Mini for around $300-500, and a used MBP for about $800-1000. Obviously the MBP is more expensive, but is it also 'better?' Or is the mac-mini just as good.

For sake of comparison let's say they are both similar specs in terms of processor (Core 2 duo) with a heft 4-8 gigs of memory.

What is everyone's stance / opinions / feedback / on which device to get?

Thanks,

--Asif

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You didn't mention considering one of the most important parameters in your decision...and that's portability/mobility.

A laptop computer is more "mobile" than a desktop computer (although a Mac-mini is very portable). Since a laptop is more mobile..you pay more for it. If you don't need the mobility of a laptop...why pay for it!;)

If what you need is a desktop...get a desktop. If you need a laptop...get a laptop. Make this decision...and you choice is made.:)

- Nick

p.s. And...if you're going to pay $800-$1000 for a used MacBook Pro...and you don't really need a MBP...then you can spend the same $$$ on a new or newer iMac.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC309LL/A

OP
A
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was looking to get opinions on what would be the best Apple device to get for my home. I have an old desktop that's showing its age, and am interested in getting involved in Apple, so was thinking about getting a mac mini or a Macbook Pro (MBP).

It seems that I can get a used Mac Mini for around $300-500, and a used MBP for about $800-1000. Obviously the MBP is more expensive, but is it also 'better?' Or is the mac-mini just as good.

For sake of comparison let's say they are both similar specs in terms of processor (Core 2 duo) with a heft 4-8 gigs of memory.

What is everyone's stance / opinions / feedback / on which device to get?

Thanks,

--Asif

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No need to double post...your post in the notebook area is enough.

Thread closed.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I think I would use the portability function, I could see lugging it around...as well as hooking it up to my HDTV at times.

The other big reason I like the MBP, is that it gives me an option to have a semi dual monitor setup, like the following:
macbook-pro-with-external-monitor.JPG

I currently have a 24" monitor at my desk, but my desk is not big enough for a 2nd monitor of the equivalent size. The MBP is just big enough, and I like the idea of using the MBP's built in screen for some extra real estate.

Thanks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Merged duplicate threads.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I would use the portability function, I could see lugging it around...as well as hooking it up to my HDTV at times.

The other big reason I like the MBP, is that it gives me an option to have a semi dual monitor setup, like the following...

Sounds like you already have your answer!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.