External Display Acting Like A Way-Back Machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Hi Folks-
Some weeks ago, I upgraded to Snow Leopard (late to the party, huh?). I have not used my second monitor until today. I connected it & both monitors show the desktop, including wallpaper, from before I upgraded the OS.

I turned off Mirroring & the MacBook monitor goes to the normal, but the external is stuck in 10.4.11's display from before I upgraded. Goofy, ain't it?

I rooted around in Display Preferences & could not find anything to correct this. My next logical step was to look in /User/Library/preferences. I didn't find any display plist to ditch.
I looked for any com.apple.<display> or <monitor> or any pist with the monotor's name. No luck.

Sadly, I use the large monitor for CAD & Photoshop Elements. Neither will work in the external now. (They show up & the fiels open, but the mouse is ignored.)

Do you folks have any ideas for this? Thanks very much!
Paul

OP
PGB1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
Crisis Averted! Life Can Now Continue!

Hi
Please disregard the above post. I'm a dope sometimes. (Now does my User Name make sense?)
I'll post how I (accidentally) fixed this just in case someone equally in-adept at computer stuff has the same problem-

I opened System Preferences. But, instead of going to Displays, I went to Desktop. There were two windows to make desktop selections open. They were stacked on top of each other & I never saw the special one for the second monitor. I went to move the one I saw & the other one was shyly hiding behind it.

I changed the wallpaper. Voila! The folders & wallpaper from pre-upgrade to 10.6.8 were gone & the desktop was normal. Even the dock moved to where it lives now. Also, Photoshop Elements & CAD both work fine on each monitor.

I understand the part about the wallpaper being changed, but I still am clueless why my old folders were there & why they left when I changed wallpaper. I don't have any idea why CAD & PSE now behave. A bad case of MCS, I guess.

As long as everything works- I'm happy. (OK, I'll be honest. I'll waste hours just to find out how it went all apey.)

Now, back to our regularly scheduled lives ...
Peace Y'All,
Paul

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I did not even think of that when I read your first post. Glad you got it working.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.