Force quit the norm for 2011 MBP

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an early 2011 2 GHZ Intel Core i7 15" MBP with 500 GB HD and 4 GB memory. I have 396 GB of HD free. It has been very pokey and lagging. I don't have many apps open at a time and I don't do graphic design, gaming or music/film editing, so it's not under a heavy load. I have to force quit iPhoto and iTunes often, and the Microsoft Office suite is always a hellacious nightmare. I know the Office 2011 programs for Mac are quite buggy, but I have to to force quit EVERY time. I am a grad student who writes a lot of manuscripts and it's very frustrating to have these and other programs unresponsive most of the time.

I repaired permissions and ran "Maintenance". It's still acting up. I'm thinking I need to take it in. The closest Apple store is 3 hours away so I might need to take it to the nearest Apple Authorized repair shop.

I just wanted some insight as to what might be going on. I have owned Macs for over 12 years and while I like this computer, it shouldn't be acting like my 2007 iMac (that has 1 GB memory).

Thanks in advance! Sorry if I'm long winded. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sounds like you have done quite a bit already troubleshooting this problem. There only one thing I can suggest...try downloading & running the "automated" process's.

If this doesn't help...then from what you describe...you may have a "flakey" hard drive, and need to have Apple look at it.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt response, Nick. I will try what you suggested. I really hope it isn't the hard drive. It's practically new and I baby it. Hopefully it can be remedied :)

OP
I
Reaction score
Gosh... the more I read about the problems with early 2011 MBPs hard freezing, the more paranoid I am getting. There are a plethora of pages.. 100's... reporting the same exact problems I am having. Most people only find relief if there whole computer is replaced.

As I said earlier, I can't get it to an Apple store anytime soon (too far), so hopefully an Apple Certified repair shop can help out. I will update what I find out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Why use MS Office?

Why not Pages? I have absolutely no problems with Pages (after using MS Office since it was first written). You may save in Office format or open Office files when/if you wish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I think I can count the # of times I've had to force quit an app on my 11 mbp on a single hand in the ~year I've owned it. I'd say something's not right. One things for certain on Internet bulletin boards, you'll only hear from people with problems.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the assistance. Wolfpuppies3, I do have iWork and even that is a nuisance, although not as much as Office. I talked to the Apple certified repair people in town and they believe I have a failing HD (as Nick above suggested), as well as faulty fans/thermal paste application (My CPU/GPU gets over 75C/167 F when I'm just checking my e-mail and nothing else!!).

Thanks again to you all for the help and I hope to get this resolved. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.