MS Office update in OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 500gb
Hi

I’m running Microsoft Office 2011 on a late 2011 MBP, OS X 10.7.3

When I opened Word today, Office downloaded an update but when the download is complete, the terminal opens. I have no idea what to do from there but I have figured out the install has not taken place.

Been using a Mac for only a few months and using MS Office for school. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Terminal shouldn't open with any Office update so that's a bit of a mystery. Therefore, you can close it if you're not using it.

OP
maxwell2112
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 500gb
Thanks for the response vansmith. Problem is, every time I close it, then Office shows me there are 2 critical updates and gives me the option to “install.” When I click “install” it downloads the updates again and when the down load is complete, the Terminal opens………again.

In the Terminal it says: Maxwell’s MBP bla bla bla. Office 2011 14.2.1 update.pkg and so on….

When I hit enter it just repeats the line.

Does anyone know what I am being prompted to do ?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Can you take a screenshot (Command - Shift - 4 and then spacebar to take a shot of just the Terminal window) of that and post it here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
I had the exact same problem this afternoon when I downloaded that update.

MicroJunk was of absolutely no help. (Duh.. Uninstall Office & start over. Really? No kidding? What about my preferences I worked hard to build? Templates? I Dunno.)

Here's how it got solved: I found this on Apple's web site- I apologize but I forgot to save the URL for the page.

Back up everything! (Remember, we're dealing with MicroYuck here.)
Move this file to the desktop:
/Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist
Let Office Updater download & install the update again.
Re-Boot
If everything is good, ditch the old plist file.

Oddly, this file has not been re-created (yet). I have no idea what this file has to do with Office & I surely would have never figured this one out on my own.

MicroToad products make me crazy! (I'm about to post a thread asking for help with something Office related myself. That's how I saw your question.)

I do have one question to ask: Why didn't I buy Pages & Numbers instead????
I sincerely hope this will help you. It can be frustrating!
Paul

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I do have one question to ask: Why didn't I buy Pages & Numbers instead????
I sincerely hope this will help you. It can be frustrating!

Seems like you're having all sorts of problems with Office. I suggest sending along your feelings and problems to the folks at the Mac Office forum: LINK

You can always switch to Pages and Numbers for $19.99 each from the Mac app store or download the free LibreOffice instead.

Using words like "MicroYuck", "MicroJunk" and "MicroToad" might make you feel better but it certainly doesn't go well here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
I Apologize

Hi Chscag & Everyone

You're right- I really should not have been rude to Microsoft. It doesn't reflect well on me, nor on this group as a whole.
I apologize to anyone I offended..
Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.