IMAC squeaking

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a 3.06 Intel Core 2 Duo 21.5 IMAC and it runs MAC OS X.
It has a 1 TB Hitachi HDD.

A couple of months ago it started to make a very low volume noise, something like repetitive squeaks.
It made me think it is something wrong with the harddisk and it might soon crash (it's happened to me before on PCs, more than once, and that's why I'm concerned).
I called Apple Germany and they told me that they haven't heard about this issue on IMACs.

The warranty will expire in 1 month.

On the other hand, everything seems to work perfectly, and considering the gentle sound I'm almost sure it would be a waste of time sending it to a service company.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 Clamshell 366mhz+Firewire, PowerMac G4 MDD 2003 1.25Ghz(Single), Mac LC520 25MHZ
Definately sounds like a hard-drive issue... I suppose taking it into an apple store to at least get it checked out wouldn't be a bad idea-- what could possibly go wrong? They would probably be able to help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
On the other hand, everything seems to work perfectly, and considering the gentle sound I'm almost sure it would be a waste of time sending it to a service company.

Take it on in to Apple before your warranty expires. The squeaking noise sounds like it could be a defective fan (there are three fans in an iMac) which if it fails, the machine could overheat. Make sure you have it looked at.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.