Printing in B/W to Canon color printer

Reaction score
Attempting to print in B/W to Canon color printer, but even when I select the grayscale or black and white option under the print menu, I still get a message that says the Canon does not have a color cartridge and won't print. Has anyone encountered this and knows how to address it?

Thanks so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You gave us virtually no information to try to help you.

Attempting to print to which Canon Printer? Model? Which version of OS X are you using? And finally, have you gone to the Canon website and downloaded the latest drivers for your version of OS X?

OP
P
Reaction score
Sorry - I'm new to Mac and new to the forum so still learning how to ask for help. I'm printing to a Canon BJC-85. Am on OS X 10.6.8.

Have downloaded the latest drivers for my version of OS X, but how do I know if the computer is using the new drivers or does it do so automatically? Also tried to print test page, and that printed something, but it's gobbledygook.

Thanks!

OP
P
Reaction score
Also, this is the error message I'm getting:

"Error Number : 12 The installed BJ cartridge does not match the settings. Replace with a color BJ cartridge and try again."

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Apparently it is not recognizing one of the cartridges. This can happen if the cartridge is not installed properly. It may also happen with some generic cartridges though some work well.

Is the cartridge that is not recognized a color cartridge? Don't know if it is true for yours but if I remember correctly my PIXMA MP 990 will not usually print ay all if one of the cartridges is empty or not installed properly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open System Preferences. Click on Print & Scan and highlight your Canon BJC-85. Now click on "Options & Supplies". Click on the "Driver" tab. What does it say? It should reflect the correct driver. If it doesn't and you've installed the latest drivers from Canon, do this:

In the driver box that shows your printer, click on the down arrow which should be on the right side of the box. Scroll up or down until you see the correct driver for your printer and select it. There may be several different drivers to choose from. Choose the driver you installed from Canon.

Exit out of the dialog and System Preferences. Now attempt to print again.

Let us know if that works.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Re: printer driver - yes it says the right driver, so guess that should be all set.

Re: printer cartridge - yes it is a generic cartridge, but it is installed properly as it is printing with no problem from other pc's.

Any other thoughts on what I need to do/could be wrong? Thanks so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only thing I can suggest for now is to buy a genuine Canon cartridge and try it. I have a Canon all in one printer myself and use generic cartridges but let me explain one thing about generic cartridges:

There are two kinds of generic Canon cartridges.

1. Generic, no on board chip.

2. Generic, chip included.

I always purchase the latter (chip included). Without the on board chip, the printer doesn't know the cartridge is loaded or whether or not it's empty. Why it's working OK on your PC, I have no idea. Anyway, try a genuine Canon cartridge and let us know if it works OK.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.