Lion Erase & Install

Reaction score
I would like to perform a complete erase and install, but i am without install discs. I understand how to perform this task with a flash drive, but do i have to purchase lion from the app store? i did not upgrade to lion it came pre installed. I would like to erase everything on the hard drive and begin again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Hold down cmd and R at boot. This is the lion recovery method

OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery

prepare for a 2-3 hours of OS download once you start install after format.

OP
C
Reaction score
what you explained reinstalls lion rather than erasing the hard drive. I want to simply erase & install like previous systems, must I do this another way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
That is the method to do it. You can erase the HDD once you've booted into the Lion Recovery partition.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What member Dysfunction suggested to you can also be used to erase the disk and then proceed with the reinstall. Use Disk Utility from the Recovery Partition to erase the disk first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
What member Dysfunction suggested to you can also be used to erase the disk and then proceed with the reinstall. Use Disk Utility from the Recovery Partition to erase the disk first.

Sadly I can confirm this. I've had to do it. Then I complained when I had to bring the iMac back to the store for a physical replacement. Evidently the networked method of recovery is unpopular with more than just myself.

Reaction score
Reformat?

Friends I am new to this particular forum and searched for my topic and found this thread.
I have a followup question that I need an answer to: when installing/reinstalling Lion to a new drive, unformatted [but the same question I think applies to a botched install or other hard issue] - when the Erase/Install switch is invoked, does it wipe, remove partition info, and re-partition and reformat the drive? I am doing this on an iMac 20 and just trying to ascertain if I need to FIRST format the HDD before even attempting the install.
My understanding [from article on burning lion to bootable device on lifehacker...] is that all the tools/utilities are available on the boot /install image so I assume the disk utility can be invoked to do what needs to be done??

thank you for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Erase then format Mac OS Extended (Journalled) into Partition, select single, go to Options and make sure GUID is selected, then back to Installer and proceed.

Reaction score
Perfect. like a mnid-reader you gave me exactly what's needed.
thanks so much
c

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.