Apple TV Streaming MV4 Files

Reaction score
Hi All.

I am sure that this has been asked before but I do not know where to start.

I have an iMac and am looking to stream MV4 files (ripped HandBrake DVD's) to Apple TV (which I have not bought yet).

Is this possible? I know absolutely nothing about Apple TV and my reason for being interested is that I want to store my entire DVD collection on my hard drive and use that as my library, choosing films to watch on my TV at the click of the mouse.

In very simple terms (as I am by no means computer literate), can this be done and if so, how?

Thanks in anticipation, John.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just drag those m4v files into iTunes and the AppleTV can connect to your iMac/iTunes via Home Sharing and stream all your iTunes content (Music/video etc)

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi.

Thanks very much for that - you have put my mind at rest in the knowledge that I am not wasting my time!

The link to home sharing mentions TV2. Is this the best AppleTV to go for, or does that not really matter?

Your advice on the best ATV to buy would be much appreciated.

Thanks once again, John. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
ATV 2 or 3 will do the job but I'd suggest getting the latest version, all that info on that page is relevant to the ATV3 and 2.

Just for info the third gen AppleTV has a fater processor and supports video up to 1080p, whereas the second gen only supports up to 720p.

If budget allows I'd suggest getting the latest version. A bargain at $99

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I am doing this exact thing with a MacMini running iTunes. Once you have Home Sharing set up and configured, all your apple devices will be able to easily connect. Heck, I sit on my deck with my iPad and stream movies and tv shows from iTunes on the Mini. Flawlessly, I might add.

I have an Apple TV 2 and it works great, and will be getting an Apple TV 3 once I get paid again. The Apple TV 2 is on my 720 HDTV, the new one will go on my 1080 HDTV.

And yes, it is nice not to have to put a DVD in every time I want to watch something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.