Mail mess

Reaction score
I was just looking through my images through Finder when i came upon a few photos that have caught me by surprise as they do not belong to me. They appear to have come from somewhere in my Mail (Gmail>Trash. imapmbox>Attachments -?), however, I don't seem to be able to trace it back to any e-mail in my Inbox.
This had me taking a second look at Mail and realising there are many folders that I am unfamiliar with - including a Spam, Important and Starred folder that contains recently "starred" emails..
I am *really* confused. I hope someone can enlighten me..

OP
B
Reaction score
just wanted to clarify..

it is about the unknown photos - and how they appear in Finder, but not in Mail - that i am mainly hoping someone can help me with..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Where in Finder did you see these photos? It sounds like this might be part of the Mail downloads folder (Home > Library > Mail Downloads).

OP
B
Reaction score
at Search for: All Images in Finder.
these are photos of someone i know personally but certainly did not receive in any e-mail.. so confused as to how they could bypass my Inbox and end up in some other folder like this..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 Clamshell 366mhz+Firewire, PowerMac G4 MDD 2003 1.25Ghz(Single), Mac LC520 25MHZ
Could someone else have had access to the computer to put them there as a joke or somthing?
Maybe you did indeed receive them, but someone deleted the message?

I don't know, just throwing ideas out there.

OP
B
Reaction score
nope, nobody could have had (physical) access to my Mac this recently.
i am so dumbfounded and somewhat freaked out! i really hope i can find the reason for this..
my Mail is linked to Gmail, btw.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Where are the pictures actually located? If you right click them and select Get Info, what does it say for "Where"?

OP
B
Reaction score
my ex e-mailed photos to somebody from his mobile ~ but seeing as his phone assumes my account as the default e-mail (??? - i have changed my password now) they were sent from my e-mail. i guess he deleted the sent message when he realised.. but naturally they ended up on my hard drive..
phew!! mystery solved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.