My mac mini (2011) is stuck on the loading screen?

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the site, so if this isn't the right place for my question, I apologise. Anyway, my mac mini (2011 model) will not boot up. It will simply display the white boot up screen (the first screen you see with the grey Apple logo), and will show the spinning disk but will never boot up to the main desktop. It was working fine a fortnight ago, but I had to go away for a week, and when I got back this happened. No one has touched it since then, so why is this and how can I fix it? Thanks.

P.S. I can't access single user mode because I can't get to the point where it actually pops up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have your original install media? If you do, boot the Mini with it and run verify and repair from Disk Utility. You'll find Disk Utility listed under Utilities from the main menu at the top of the screen. (Do not enter OS X installation.)

Reaction score
CMR R to boot into the recovery partition..

CMD V to boot verbose that that way you can see whats causing the hang

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.