Deleting Apps

Reaction score
Hi,

If I download an app On my iPhone / iPad and then delete it for what ever reason (rubbish/not what I want) how do I stop it re-appearing when I sync with my Mac?

I still want to keep my purchases that I have left on the phone / pad but it seems to "recover" the ones I have deleted.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Andy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If i get this right. Open iTunes and click on your device under Devises and then with the image below, click the App you don't want so it hasn't got a in the box.

20120425-cy29xb93k1utqutc4wu1t9sas5.jpg

PS my sons iPod and Apps lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If i get this right. Open iTunes and click on your device under Devices the under the Apps you will get a window like the image below. The make sure there is no beside the App you don't want to sync.

itunes

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The iTunes on your computer is the authority of the all the apps that are installed on your iOS devices, so if you happen to download an app on an iOS device and then sync to the computer, iTunes will grab that app and keep it updated. If you delete the app from the device, iTunes doesn't know that and the next sync will bring it back, unless, as TM stated above, you go in and specifically uncheck the application or delete it from iTunes.

So in practice, if you want an app deleted, do it from iTunes and the next sync will get rid of it from all devices, if you do want to do this from the iOS devices, then be sure to delete the app from iTunes before the next sync..

This also works if you have multiple iOS devices (like in my case) being managed by a single iTunes/Apple ID..

I sync different things to my iPhone, iPad 2, iPod Nano and my wife's iPod Shuffle..The music is easy since the iPod's are linked to specific playlists, but whenever I download/purchase a new app, if it's a universal app, unless I specifically choose with device to install it to it gets onto my iPhone and iPad 2..so I'm constantly checking/unchecking apps based on what I'm syncing with..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.