Can I use a pc power supply with my G4?

J

Juelz

My Mac G4 quicksilver will not power on. I tried the cmd option P R keystroke, pressing the reset button, leaving the system unplugged for a while, and replacing the clock battery. Power cable and outlet are fine. The next step is to replace the power supply. I want to use a PC ATX power supply that I have on hand, but the power slot is different. The mac motherboard has two extra holes for the main connector. Is there some way I can adapt it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Juelz said:
My Mac G4 quicksilver will not power on. I tried the cmd option P R keystroke, pressing the reset button, leaving the system unplugged for a while, and replacing the clock battery. Power cable and outlet are fine. The next step is to replace the power supply. I want to use a PC ATX power supply that I have on hand, but the power slot is different. The mac motherboard has two extra holes for the main connector. Is there some way I can adapt it?
I once saw a how-to posted on www.xlr8yourmac.com for using an ATX PS with a G4, it looked way too dificult to me, but you can check it out. I would recomend getting a QS power supply off ebay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
OP
J

Juelz

I just noticed the black and yellow wires for the 4 pin connector are reversed . Can't find a proper diagram for this connector. I will just match the colors and hopefully yellow is universally 12V and black is universally Ground.

OP
J

Juelz

Hmmm. I also noticed the Mac power supply wires are 18 guage and the ATX wires are 16 (thicker).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.