Changing apple ID on phone and IPad

Reaction score
Having problems ,hope someone can help.

I had to change my apple ID as my server of many years was bought out and discontinued .

I changed my ID and PW on app store info and my iPhone 4 .ok

My IPAD does not register the new apple I.d. And will not recognize old or new password..
I can no longer update apps etc.

Has anyone ran into this before, and how was issue resolved?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm sorry can you explain a bit more about what's happened?

Particularly the bit about why you had to change your apple ID?

Reaction score
Yes.... Please explain a bit more I don't quite understand what you are asking....

OP
L
Reaction score
Had to or did change apple ID as it was my discontinued email address. The server is shutting down.

After more trial and error last night it seems the issue may be that the IPhone was registered and PW etc set on the Canadian site.
My IPad is registered and PW set on US SITE .

When I go on app store my info is recognized on IPhone and all is well. If I do same on IPad my old email address shows up(even though it has been changed at source)(new id shows up on iPhone) then iPad will not recognize old or new PW that does work for app access on phone.

I can't seem to be able to get new apple I'd that shows up on phone OK To show up on iPad .
Still clear as mud??

Thanks for any input that can resolve this issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Had to or did change apple ID as it was my discontinued email address. The server is shutting down.
Let me stop you right there.

Let's say your apple id was [email protected] and abc service provider were closing down.

You just log into the apple site or iTunes with your apple ID and change your contact email to your new email address. Your Apple ID will still be [email protected] but all correspondence between you and Apple will use your new email address.
The fact that [email protected] doesn't exist as an email address any more doesn't matter it's just a username.

So just change your contact email address and carry on using your existing apple ID.

OP
L
Reaction score
I thought of that too late after the fact.
As it stands I did change my apple ID to new email and also had to change PW. It all works fine on iPhone but I can't get iPad to match up . iPad does not recognize old or new password and still shows Apple ID as old one,
iPhone shows new apple ID and new PW works

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry I just don't understand.

Your apple ID is connected to your account. If you buy an app on this account you have to use that account and appleID to update that app. You can't transfer purchases between apple IDs.

When you say the iPad isn't recognising the password what does that mean where are you entering it? What error do you get.

If you want to update your existing apps you have to use your original apple ID

OP
L
Reaction score
I can not sign in on iPad .
If I want to say....update an app. I klick on app. The little screen with apple I'd pops up and asks for password. The ID that shows up on iPad is old one. The password is not recognized ,therefore cannot buy or update app on iPad.

On iPhone doing repeat of above to upgrade app, my new apple ID (that I changed online )pops up and asks for PW. I enter new PW and app is updated as it should..

The pop up screen for apple ID and the PW is not the same on iPad and it will not work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry but this makes no sense. I must be missing something.

You had an Apple ID that your bought apps on. Were these installed on both the iPad and the iPhone?

You thought you wouldn't be able to use this ID any more. How did you create the new ID? Did you contact Apple? Or did you just create a new one yourself?
You see there's no way of moving purchases from one ID to another.
So if you can update apps on your iPhone they must have been purchased using that same ID.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, if you want to use a different ID on a device go to the App Store, Featured page an scroll to the bottom.
Touch the Apple ID - Sign out
Now touch Apple ID again and choose sign in with existing ID

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After more trial and error last night it seems the issue may be that the IPhone was registered and PW etc set on the Canadian site.

My IPad is registered and PW set on US SITE .

That's your problem. Where are you currently living, US or Canada?

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes originally ipad and iphone matched for dispayed appple ID and PW .
Both worked to ppurchase or update. Now only iphone does.
I made my own new ID online.
Makes no sense to me either

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to get the original ID password reset. If you doing it doesn't work you need to contact Apple. Without that ID working you'll never be able to update the apps that we're purchased with it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Update: had to go to settings ,,then store,then apple ID, sign out , then when Clive
Ck sign in create new apple ID. Was not able to use same ID as iPhone but able to duplicate all other information. Had to use an email that was not already signed in on phone as alternate.

Thanks for your help attempts

Reaction score
ipad not changing Apple ID

I understand what this person is saying because i have the exact same issue. I changed my email linked to my Apple account, bu my ipad does not change and no passowrd is accepted so I can no longer update apps on my ipad. How do I change the ipad to the new Apple ID? It still shows the old one and will not accept any password that i enter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to the app store featured page. Scroll to the bottom and you'll find an option to change you store login.

Just bear in mind that if you change your linked email your AppleID username doesn't change.

Eg if your original ID was [email protected] with a nominated email address of [email protected] and you change your email address to [email protected] your AppleID username will still be [email protected]

Reaction score
changing apple id on ipad

I found the answer online - settings - store - tap Apple ID - sign out - sign in with new ID and now I could update my apps and all is well....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.