Network Printer problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.7.3 Lion
I have an iMac running the latest version of Lion. I have a Brother HL-2040 printer. The network was setup on my computer using Airport Extreme about 3 years ago and there are 3 MacBooks connected to the network; the same printer has been connected since the network was setup. All the MacBooks used to be able to print from my printer using the network. The printer is connected directly to my iMac. I have Printer Sharing checked. Periodically, one or the other of the MacBooks has stopped being able to print from my printer. Each time I'd go back, reset the settings, and everything would be fine again. Over the last few months, each of the MacBooks stopped being able to "see" my printer. No matter what I do to the settings, my printer doesn't show up as an available printer. The printer does show up on one of the MacBooks but it still can't print.

I've run out of ways that I know of to troubleshoot this problem. I receive info from Brother anytime there is an update to the software/firmware, so all of that is up to date, as are the Mac OS's on all computers on the network.

Any suggestions?

Sheri

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
You can try an alternate setup in Print & Fax(Print & Scan). Delete the printer (-) from the list. Find the Lan IP address of your A/Extreme (in Network prefs - router/gateway, or in Airport Utility, etc). It's often 10.0.0.1, but not always.
Back in Print & Scan, click + and then click IP printing > select HP Jetdirect > enter the IP address of A/Extreme, select printer model, and finish.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.7.3 Lion
Thanks. I think I've (finally) found an easier way to get this to work. So far I've only been able to test one MacBook. If the other 2 work, I'm all set. If not, I might come back to you for further explanation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.