2nd internal hard drive ejects after sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" anti glare, i7 2.6GHz, 16GB Ram, Vertex2 120GB SSD + 750GB HDD
Hello..

As many others have done before me, I decided to replace my optical drive with some extra storage (a 500GB HDD).
But this setup isn't exactly as good as I hoped for. Approx every 3 time I wake the computer from sleep the 2nd hard drive gets lost, not to be seen again until reboot.

Has any of you experienced this and perhaps found a solution to it?

I'm on an early Intel Macbook Pro, Core Duo 2.0GHz, with the optical drive running on PATA (IDE).

Kind regards

Mads
Denmark

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Somebody, anybody?

The only relevant thing that appears on google is this guy Nick, asking the same question.
But no answer as to what's causing it.
Find it here; powerbookmedic.com/manual.php?id=39

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey again.

I haven't yet found a permanent solution to the problem.
But I've come across this Terminal-command 'diskutil list' which listed both harddrives. And another that could re-mount the lost disk as read-only 'sudo mount -t hfs -o rdonly /dev/disk1s2 /Volumes/Nana HDD'.

For those who are interested; support.apple.com/kb/TA23941?viewlocale=en_US

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Hmm, I remember reading about earlier MacBooks having disappearing internal drives when I was investigating installing an SSD in my MacBook. I don't think I saw a fix for it.

Is the "put hard disk to sleep when possible" option checked in your Energy Saving settings?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Stretch, Thanks for your reply..

Yes all was unchecked in the Energy Saving settings.
But I think I've found a solution to the problem..

After spending a few weeks trying out different kinds for hypernation modes and messing around with the sudden motion sensor. (See here for more infomation -> macworld.com/article/1053471/sleepmode.html )
I remembered seeing some jumper pins on the back of the hard drive when I put in the SSD.
Apparently these are used for slowing down HDD speed on older systems. Since this is an old system I decided to take the computer apart and place a jumper on the hard drive, slowing it down from 3.0 Gbit/s to 1.5 Gbit/s..
Is been four days and the HDD hasn't ejected since. So hopefully this setup will continue to work..

/Mads

Reaction score
I had the same problem:
Second hard drive in SATA to PATA caddy was sometimes gone after suspend. Only shutting down and starting the macbook allows to access the drive again.

Solution:
I have replaced the caddy and everything works fine (since 1 month).

False caddy:
firstcom, HDD/SSD Adapter Einbaurahmen IDE zu SATA MacBook Pro Non-Unibody 13 15 17 Zoll, bought on ebay, Germany, 14,90 Euro

Working caddy:
TheNatural2020, HDD/SSD Adapter Caddy - für alle 13" und 15" Apple MacBook (Pro) von 2006 bis Anfang 2008 (ersetzt Combo-/SuperDrive) - Festplattenrahmen Einbaurahmen 9.5 mm SATA auf PATA/IDE - TheNatural2020, bought on amazon, Germany, 20,89 Euro

For the records:

Things that I have tried before:
I have limited the data transfer rate from the second hdd with a jumper (sata3 -> sata2, see Jumper settings for Seagate SATA hard drives.). This does not solve the problem. But I have left the jumper at the hdd, because it does not seem to be a performance issue after all.
I have also tried to rewake the device via terminal but it was no longer available in /dev/disk*. Only shutting down and starting the macbook allows to access the drive again.

Setup:
MacBook Core 2 Duo, Early 2008, Lion, 4 GB Ram, 160 GB (original, 1st HDD)
Caddy from TheNatural2020 with Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 1 TB equivalent to SAMSUNG SpinPointM8 1TB HDD 5400rpm HN-M101MBB (2nd HDD)

Relevant parts in logfiles after suspend and drive was ejected/lost:
IOATAController device blocking bus.
AppleATADiskQueueManager::setPowerState(0x7390700, 0 -> 2) timed out after 100894 ms
IOATAController device blocking bus.
ATA: Device wake up failed (0x00000003), terminating device...
disk1s2: media is not present.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.