Ibook RAM upgrade problem

D

doctorzoidberg

Hello,

I just bought a Samsung/apple 512MB stick, and been having trouble installing it into my ibook G4 1ghz. The stick will not go in all the way,and it seems there is a bit of protruding plastic on the left side of the ram expansion slot that is blocking the stick from fully locking in. I though I got it in all the way once, so I fired up the ibook and it made lots of fan noise and never fully booted. Has anyone heard of this? Would the stick still make the connection if it's not locked in all the way?
I have kept the ibook in great condition, but it was an apple reconditioned product. Also, I have never upgraded its RAM, as I am currently just using the onboard 256mb.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.58GHz OC'ed Mac mini
It needs to lock. I would remove it right away. You could damage the built in ram on your ibook. It doesn't sound compatible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
yes, it you keep it in, you could short ot your ibook... Check with your local apple store to see if they can figure out the problem...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
this is a long shot.. but is it upside down ?

OP
R

radarbob

RAM typcially is a tight fit, but it fits. It will snap in place. If it will not fully seat, you must not have the right kind.

You have to make sure the RAM is compatable with your particular computer. When I bought our new 700MHZ iBook it came w/ free RAM upgrade. It fit perfectly but the machine would not recognize the additional RAM. That RAM model, althought electroncially correct, would not work w/ the iBook. The tech explained to me that the mac was set up to accept specific RAM and would not work with other models even if it was the "right kind." I don't understand it, but that's what he said.

Now I always go to 4AllMemory.com because you tell them what computer you have and they tell you what RAM is compatable. Decent prices too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.