Problem with verify and repair volumn 'LaCie'

Reaction score
Hello!
I have been using an external HD LaCie d2 quadra 1TB for backing up my MAC data since January 2011. The last successful backup was on 20.04.2012 and since then my Time Machine could no longer perform backup on this HD.

The Time Machine error message I got was:
Files can't be copied onto the backup disk because it appears to be 'read only'.

Then I performed Verify Disk using Disk Utility. It failed to verify with the following message:-
Invalid Key Length
The volumn LaCie could not be verified completely.
Error: This disk needs to be repaired Click Repair Disk.

Then I performed Repair Disk. This has failed too with the following message:-
Error: Disk Utility can't repair this disk...disk, and restore your backed-up files.

I have no idea what is wrong with the HD LaCie. It has been working very well until 20.04.2012.

Has anyone have this problem before? I hope someone is kind to help before I perform erase or reformat disk. I hope I don't need to.

Appreciate a quick response from someone...

Thanks in advance!
J

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The drive itself may or may not be OK. Sometimes that error can be caused by failing electronics within the enclosure. If the drive is still under warranty, I suggest contacting LaCie and obtaining an RMA from them so they can replace the drive.

OP
L
Reaction score
Dear Chscag,

Thank you for your quick response! I really appreciate that.

I am not sure if the drive is OK or not. But this is what I know so far...when I clicked on Time Machine, it still can open the disk to access data stored up to 20.04.2012. Another thing: when I switched on my Mac, I got this message. It says: MAC OSX can't repair the disk 'LaCie'. You can still open or copy files but cannot change the files...'

What does it mean?

My drive is still under warranty. Say I need to have the drive replaced, how can I first save all the back-up data from the disk. Do you have any instructions on this or is there anywhere I can look up for saving back-up files? I am really new to this situation.

Thank you once again for your tips.
J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You can try cloning the drive to a new hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper. Although it may not work given the current state of the drive.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi,
I think the problem with my hard drive is it is no longer writable. When I clicked on Get Info from LaCie, it says Writable: No. What has caused it to changed from Read & Write to Read-Only, I have no clue.

I contacted LaCie and they suggested me to try to reformat the disk and may be it will solve the problem. This means it will erase all my backed-up data on the disk.

My next question: how can I save the backed-up data from the disk and then restore it back to the hard drive if it works again after reformating?? Do I use Migartion Assisstance to transfer data from the disk to my iMAC? If so, can someone show me the steps to do it. Where will the data reside on the MAC?

Secondly, after reformating, do I use Migration Assistance to restore data from MAC to the disk again?

I hope someone can help...Thanks in advance.

Desperately waiting for answers!
J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'll probably want to pick up a second external hard drive. Clone the Lacie drive to the new hard drive then attempt to reformat it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response!
It sounds like there is no way to save the backed-up data on MAC and later restore it BUT to save or clone it on to a new hard drive? Is this the only solution?

Thanks!
J

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi! I just want to give some update of my problem...

I called Apple Support and they were helpful to give some advice. They suggested that I use Disk Utility to save the entire backup file (similar to cloning) by clicking 'New Image' button and store it onto my MAC internal drive in the Desktop area. I tried the method and after 5 minutes, it stopped with an error message 'input/output' error. I called them again and they suggested an alternative method, ie, to save just the backupdb files by 'copy and paste' method from Finder. I tried and it didn't allow me to do it. The conclusion from Apple Support is that my disk is faulty - it neither allows any update from MAC to it nor allows Disk Utility to read the disk and save files into my MAC. It seems that not only the physical disk is faulty, my backup data could be faulty too.

They also suggested, the only other way to try to save the backup files from the faulty disk is to try Disk Warrior or Data Recovery tool, which I will have to pay to try it.

What I will do is to use DU to erase and reformat the disk to see if it solves the problem. (I will have to sacrifice the backedup data in this case). If it still does not work, I will trash it. Since I still have my data on MAC which is in working order which is most important. I won't bother to even send it to LaCie as it says in the fine prints - I have to pay for the delivery costs to send it to the service centre and if the disk is unrepairable, I will not get a new replacement but a refurbished one. This is just a load of rubbish. Should have known that before I bought it!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LaCie has horrible product support. If you were to take apart the drive, you may be able to access the data using a different enclosure, but it will void your warranty (sounds like you don't care at this point though).

Really, I don't understand how Lacie is still a functioning company as I've never seen positive reports about their products, on top of their support being pretty much useless.

OP
L
Reaction score
I totally agree with you. Why would Apple recommend it in Apple Store in the first place?

Could I ask you if you could recommend me an external disk for a MAC desktop (max1TB) which is reliable, reasonably priced and has good service support?

Thank you in advance!
J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
When doing some research recently into the maintenance and verification of TM back ups I recall reading an Apple Support archive that did not recommend that you used Repair Disk on an Ext HD that was being used for TM back up.
If I find it again I will post back.

I too have recently had major time-wasting problems with a LaCie Network Space 2 which just didn't and wouldn't work at all with my iMac. The tech support was email/website based, well meant, but convoluted. I took it back to PC World and was given a full refund with a "meh' no questions asked response which leads me to believe that they get quite a few back.

I bought a Western Digital My Book Studio..it is TM enabled and worked out of the box.

OP
L
Reaction score
Dear Pendlewitch,
thank you for your reply. I have done some research on the use of Disk Utility and the sources were from Apple Support as well as from other MAC forum websites and they seemed to suggest it is a good idea to regularly run Disk Utility on the external disk for cleaning the disk if it finds any problems that can be repaired. I am curious to know about your research on Disk Utility.

Also, I have decided to ditch my old backed-up data from the disk by running Erase option using Disk Utility and it reformated my external disk LaCie without any problem. Then I performed a fresh back up using the Time Machine and wah lah! My Time Machine is now talking to LaCie again and performed its regular backup nicely.

I really don't know what happened to it and I hope it stays alive for a loooong time...Keep my fingers crossed.
J

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.