Snow Leopard or Lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (24" Early 2008) 3.06 GHz intel core 2 duo 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 M
Hi. Me again. ^^;

As I mentioned earlier and elsewhere, I was thinking about making the switch. So what's been confusing me is which OS X to use; Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion? Or any other feline-named OS X? Which is most secure, stable, reliable, fast, etc. That sort of thing. Also, does it matter which kind of Mac is used? Say, iMac vs. Macbook Pro vs. Macbook Air?

Please be gentle, I'm a Mac/OS X virgin so to speak. Try to make your answers in the simplest terms possible... :Blushing:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Mountain Lion hasn't been released yet. Maybe the choice you're trying to decide between is Snow Leopard or Lion.

- Nick

OP
The-Canuckster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (24" Early 2008) 3.06 GHz intel core 2 duo 4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS 512 M
Okay, thank you very much. As I said, I'm a OS X/Mac virgin. Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't sure.

So.. between Lion and Snow Leopard?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, thank you very much. As I said, I'm a OS X/Mac virgin. Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't sure.

So.. between Lion and Snow Leopard?

Kind of depends on what computer you get (vintage). If you get a brand new model Macintosh...Lion will be your only choice.

- Nick

OP
The-Canuckster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd want a new one, I think. Why is Lion the only choice? Is Snow Leopard older?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Snow leopard came before Lion and yes it's around 2 years old. Apple with brand new machines usually makes it so only the latest OS will install.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd want a new one, I think. Why is Lion the only choice? Is Snow Leopard older?

Like "dtravis7" mentioned. Apple almost always ships new Macintosh computers with the latest OS...and that OS version is usually the minimum OS that can be installed on it.

- Nick

OP
The-Canuckster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thanks guys! So.. one more question. Machines aside, which is the better OS X in your opinion? For the same reasons I mentioned before (stability, reliability, speed, etc.). Between Lion and Snow Leopard.

The reason I'm asking is in case getting an older machine with an older OS X might be better or not.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thanks guys! So.. one more question. Machines aside, which is the better OS X in your opinion? For the same reasons I mentioned before (stability, reliability, speed, etc.). Between Lion and Snow Leopard.

To be honest...for a new user...I don't think that it matters. Snow Leopard is 2.5 years old at this point. In another 1-2 years Snow Leopard will start to be thought of as "OLD"...some folks may even consider Snow Leopard "older" now.

Lion will be 1 year-old this Summer...so as a new user...there's really no reason not to start out with Lion.

My 2 cents,:)

- nick

C

chas_m

At this point I think it is quite frankly nuts to be considering an older OS unless:

1. Your machine is so old that Snow Leopard is the latest thing it can possibly run.

2. You enjoy having your machine go obsolete quickly.

So Lion then.

OP
The-Canuckster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry. Bit of a dumb question then. :Blushing: Many thanks again! ;) Lion it is.

OP
The-Canuckster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys for all the help. It's really appreciated by this Mac virgin. :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry. Bit of a dumb question then. :Blushing: Many thanks again! ;) Lion it is.

Not really a dumb question.;) If you were thinking of a slightly older Mac (2-3 years old)...you would have a choice...and could choose. There are some folks who do prefer Snow Leopard over Lion...but mostly because Lion really doesn't have much in the way of "jaw-dropping"...gotta have it...features.

But with that being said...there's really nothing terribly wrong with Lion.:) For someone that's upgrading...they just have to pay the $29 to get it (which some folks would rather not do if Lion doesn't have features they can't live without).

But for someone who is new to Macintosh computers...and will be buying a new computer with Lion pre-installed...there's absolutely nothing wrong with Lion.:)

The real bottom line. Eventually all of us will be running Lion (if we have computers capable of running Lion). Maybe not this year, or next year...but maybe 5 years from now.;)

- Nick

OP
The-Canuckster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not really a dumb question.;) If you were thinking of a slightly older Mac (2-3 years old)...you would have a choice...and could choose. There are some folks who do prefer Snow Leopard over Lion...but mostly because Lion really doesn't have much in the way of "jaw-dropping"...gotta have it...features.

- Nick

What kind of "jaw-dropping" features are included in Snow Leopard? It seems kind of strange that the same (and more) features are not included in the newer Lion OS X...hm...
Thank you very much again. :)

-J.S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The huge feature of Snow Leopard was the Intel only code. The biggest thing about Snow Leopard was code optimization. They cleaned it up and removed the PPC code so it would run faster and more efficient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Canuckster, it's not that Lion doesn't include the same features as Snow Leopard, it's just that the leap from SL to Lion wasn't really that big. It does have more features, in terms of added features that weren't there before, but not that many more. In other words, the difference is more Vista/W7 than XP/Vista. ROUGHLY!

OP
The-Canuckster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The huge feature of Snow Leopard was the Intel only code. The biggest thing about Snow Leopard was code optimization. They cleaned it up and removed the PPC code so it would run faster and more efficient.

So.. does Lion not have this "Intel Only Code"? Does Lion also have the PPC code removed?

Mac newbie questions, FTW!

-J.S.

OP
The-Canuckster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay. Sorry, Oneironaut.... I did warn you that I know NOTHING about the Mac/OS X!! :Oops: Thank you for the info. Very helpful. :D I guess the best way to describe this to a Mac newbie is to put it in PC terms... ^^;

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So.. does Lion not have this "Intel Only Code"? Does Lion also have the PPC code removed?

Everything since the release of Snow Leopard has been "Intel-Only"...that was one of the main features of the Snow Leopard release in the first place. Certainly Lion also has the PPC code removed...there really wouldn't be a point of putting it back in after it was removed. Apple doesn't do that!;)

OS 10.5 "Leopard" was the last OS to have PPC code.

FYI:

- 10.5 = Leopard
- 10.6 = Snow Leopard
- 10.7 = Lion
- 10.8 = Mountain Lion

Honestly...if you're going to get a new computer...all of the Snow Leopard/Lion concerns really don't matter...since the computer WILL come with Lion preinstalled.

There's nothing wrong with Lion...and there's also nothing "super-duper" about Snow Leopard.;)

If you REALLY want more information...please read these two articles:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mac OS X Lion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- Nick

OP
The-Canuckster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everything since the release of Snow Leopard has been "Intel-Only"...that was one of the main features of the Snow Leopard release in the first place. Certainly Lion also has the PPC code removed...there really wouldn't be a point of putting it back in after it was removed. Apple doesn't do that!;)

OS 10.5 "Leopard" was the last OS to have PPC code.

FYI:

- 10.5 = Leopard
- 10.6 = Snow Leopard
- 10.7 = Lion
- 10.8 = Mountain Lion

Honestly...if you're going to get a new computer...all of the Snow Leopard/Lion concerns really don't matter...since the computer WILL come with Lion preinstalled.

There's nothing wrong with Lion...and there's also nothing "super-duper" about Snow Leopard.;)

If you REALLY want more information...please read these two articles:

Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mac OS X Lion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- Nick

Awesome! Thanks guys, all of you really answered my questions quite nicely. And boy, I do appreciate it! ;P It's nice to know that Apple doesn't put back in useless features. I guess I won't have to worry about Apple deciding (for some crazy reason) to put a registry in Mac. ;D Many thanks again, my Macsters. ;P <3

-J.S.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.