MacBook backlight only works on lowest brightness

Reaction score
I turned my macbook on yesterday and the screen lost it's brightness and i could see the screen working at the setting lower than 1 on brightness although the brightness control said it had full brightness.

Now the laptop only works at setting 1 of brightness and will still randomly die, i have to power the brightness right down and then turn it back up to 1, any further and it dies instantly and sometimes it just flashes to full brightness and dies.

What is going on? Laptop hasn't been dropped or damaged in any way, really annoying!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Sounds like the screen backlight is dying. How old is the MacBook and do you still have AppleCare?

OP
S
Reaction score
unfortunately no applecare and the macbook is mid-2009, any idea on what i should do? no apple store is very near to me and im not particularly savvy when it comes to taking the laptop apart either?

is there a fix and how much am i looking at?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.26 8GB RAM 500GBhdd, iPhone 4, and iPad
isnt that one LED? Id find it hard to believe that a LED would of died, especially several of them...

If its the same as on regular LCDs Id bet there is a leaky capacitor somewhere....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.