• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple predicted to discontinue 17-inch MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
If you're sitting in an airport terminal waiting for a flight, and the library, or visiting a client on a business trip...and like a larger display...that 17" display comes in handy.:)

- Nick

Ahhh but I ride my bike into the office regularly.. I couldn't stand carrying a 17" on my back doing that ;)

Reaction score
Look at it this way...if the 15" display was improved...then the 17" display would be improved as well.

- Nick

The 17 inch will be discontinued, not improved (according to this thread).

Many displays have gotten smaller due to the clarity now available.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree completely with Discerptor. What makes the smaller models PRO? People are overlooking that part.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The 17 inch will be discontinued, not improved (according to this thread).

You're confused my friend!;) My comments were related to display improvements made up to this point...not what's coming next.

Many displays have gotten smaller due to the clarity now available.

What the heck are you talking about? Other than the introduction of the 11" MacBook Air...the physical size of Apple's notebook display's has NOT changed. We still have the 13", 15", and 17" displays...just like we've had since about 2006.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There's less demand for 17 inch screens

... because the resolution of 15 inch screens is better than in years past.

Yes...this is all true...but that's not what you said in you're earlier post.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
I own a 17" MacBook Pro. It's definitely big, but surprisingly easy to carry around, and I'm not a big guy at all. I love 1920x1200 (DO NOT SAY 1080) and the big screen makes it easy to throw apps all over the desktop and have them still be viewable. It's not heavy at all, what's it like 6 pounds or something? My Dell 17" is much heavier.

My suspicion is Apple wants to go Retina in the MBPs, and they want to use this opportunity to switch the panels to the same sizes as everyone else. The 17.3" 1920x1080 panels are the "in thing" in the big laptop PC world, and Apple must be taking a beating on the pricing for 1920x1200 panels since they are the last laptop maker using them. Going to a 17.3" panel may be unworkable due to the thinness of the MBP or some other design flaw that won't work at that size. So, switch everyone over to 15(.6)", forget the 17" ever happened.

Reaction score
Good point

Well, it's a simple fact... most folks who buy a notebook machine whether it be a Mac or PC simply do not buy 17" models. Look at all the leading PC notebook makers and what they offer: Dell, HP, Sony. Their most expensive models are those that are 13", 14" and finally 15". That's their bread and butter. Apple might drop the 17" and price the 15" accordingly. Whether that's good or bad remains to be seen.

Good point.If it doesn't sell, why produce it? I don't think folks are looking for the "portable desktop" model anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP June 2009 17 inch/iPhone/iPad 1st Gen/iMac 3.06 GHz, 27 inch mon.
I love my 17 inch MBP. I have bad eyes and since I don't use any of my laptops on the beach or on the porch (that's what my ipad is for!), it's perfect for me. Ironically, I came on here to see what the protocol is for selling a used Mac. I love mine so much that I am upgrading from a 2006 to a 2010 17 inch MBP. :) Coming from a Windows background, I find the nomenclature or taxonomy for the different models very confusing. And I disagree, a 17 inch is just as portable, it's just not really a LAP top anymore. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.