Screen cleaning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.66 GHz 8 GB
Can i clean my powerbook with ordinary screen cleaners?

Reaction score
I use iKlear or distilled water on a 100% cotton cloth or diaper..

J

jn4jenny

johnnymacuser said:
Can i clean my powerbook with ordinary screen cleaners?

You occasionally meet people who do, but I don't recommend it. I find the results to be very streaky and they make the screen a little bit cloudy. You paid over a thousand dollars for the machine, so take care of it like it's worth that much.

iKlear or distilled water on a screen-cleaning microfiber or 100% cotton cloth is much safer. iKlear is much cheaper if you dont' buy it direct from Apple; I get mine from www.shaggymac.com where it's quite cheap, but there are lots of other vendors.

J

Jonster

i heard that regular lens cleaners for glasses were pretty good to use on laptop screens, but is that true? like you said, i don't want to go and get a cloudy screen when i spent this much money on my laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Jonster said:
i heard that regular lens cleaners for glasses were pretty good to use on laptop screens, but is that true? like you said, i don't want to go and get a cloudy screen when i spent this much money on my laptop.
Yep it works well. To be honest, it's basically the same exact stuff that is in the more expensive LCD cleaners like iKlear.

I bought a giant box of lens wipes from Costco for about $5.00 and they work great!

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all some nice and clear answers.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Proctecting the screen.

Ok guys all your advive about cleaning was spot on, thanks a lot.
So i went down to my local Apple dealer and laid out £35 about $70 on cleaning products!!!!!! and the guy in the store told me that he uses the blue Klearscreen cloth to lay over his keyboard to stop the keys marking the screen when its closed, is there any truth in this? my girlfriend objects says im being anal! what do you think? i cant use a keyboard cover as its far to ugly for such a beautiful machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
johnnymacuser said:
i cant use a keyboard cover as its far to ugly for such a beautiful machine.
Well, it you like your machine to stay beautiful, and if it takes something "ugly" to keep it that way, then why not?
Personally, I don't use one and have never had a problem...but sometimes its better safe than sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL
johnnymacuser said:
and the guy in the store told me that he uses the blue Klearscreen cloth to lay over his keyboard to stop the keys marking the screen when its closed, is there any truth in this? my girlfriend objects says im being anal! what do you think? i cant use a keyboard cover as its far to ugly for such a beautiful machine.

which type are you talking about? the
iSkin or the screensavrz?

personally, I use the latter and I'm quite happy w/ the radtech stuff. I have no experience w/ the iSkin keyboard protection. I wonder if the nice feel of the PB keyboard gets lost w/ that plastic cover.

H

heedree

On the topic of screen cleaning:
I use Kensington Screen Guardian with their brand cloths as well and they're not too expensive and work very nice. Been using them on my laptop/lcd monitors for years and I'm personally very happy with the results. 0 cloudiness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
schweb said:
Yep it works well. To be honest, it's basically the same exact stuff that is in the more expensive LCD cleaners like iKlear.

I bought a giant box of lens wipes from Costco for about $5.00 and they work great!

Yep, I use those to. Is the brand "Ziess," by any chance?

Anyways, it's either those or the Windex whipes. I also use the Windex Whipes on the body. So far both are still in near-perfect condition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.