Accidentally deleted contents of "Pictures" folder - is everything in iPhoto lost?

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here and this is my first disaster. I hope someone can help. :[

I switched from PC to Mac in January and I have an iMac running OS X Lion. Everything's been going smoothly and I was just learning how to use Faces and Places in iPhoto. I was moving some stuff around the other day and I inadvertently moved the contents of the Pictures folder to the trash. I didn't realise it until I started iPhoto and it said my library was gone. (And I hadn't set up Time Machine so retrieving it from there is not an option.)

I've looked in the trash (which has never been emptied) but only found a few random pictures that I never imported to iPhoto. Is there any way to retrieve the pics from the trash?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM
iPhoto has a separate Trash folder within. If you haven't emptied it, have a look at the Trash inside iPhoto.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ah - I should have specified. I did the deed from Finder. I didn't even have iPhoto open at the time. Now when I try to open it I just get a message saying iPhoto needs to know what library to use to open. That's how I knew something was wrong. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.