New to networking my Mac & PC and need help configuring AVG to update

Reaction score
I'm totally new to networking and with a whole lot of over-the-phone help have just connected my G5 to my PC via network cable and want to share files/dial-up connection with my PC.

Everything was a success except for 1 thing and it's on the PC end of the network connection.

I have AVG Free Edition and it won't update itself on the internet anymore now it has to share the dial-up.

It tries to update itself but then reports there is no dialtone, then quits.

I now connect to the internet via dial-up on the Mac, but on the PC AVG is configured to update through the dial-up connection.

In the AVG update settings are 2 options:

connect thru dial-up
or
use a proxy server.

I haven't a clue how to change AVG from updating using the dial-up connection to using a proxy server but suspect that the so called proxy server would be the Mac?

Am I correct in this assumption?

The problem remains....I don't know how to re-configure the Update Manager in AVG.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks to all who viewed my post....I will abandon it now as I posted the same querie on a Windows Forum and received several tips there which resulted in my thread being now solved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
So was it a windows problem or mac problem? interested on what you did to fix it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
NanoBite said:
Thanks to all who viewed my post....I will abandon it now as I posted the same querie on a Windows Forum and received several tips there which resulted in my thread being now solved.

Please if you see this post, what solved the problem in case some other user has that problem down the road? I was going to boot my PC Laptop with AVG and see what I could find but saw you had figured it out.

Thanks.

And you are sharing the connection from the Mac that is using Dial Up with an XP machine, correct?

OP
N
Reaction score
Hi, dtravis,

In answer to your postscript, yes, and regarding what solved the problem, well, someone on the Windows platform forum kept encouraging me to look again at the AVG configuration window and eventually I saw the trees in the forest in the shape of a little box which needed to be checked:

"If there's another connection established - use it"

The prob was that there are 2 options for updating:

Dial-Up
Proxy Server

Since the dial-up was failing I figured (wrongly, but then hey, what would I know) that since the Mac is connected to the internet and the PC is sharing the connection from the Mac, then the Mac must be the Proxy Server......???!!!

The problem then was how do I get the AVG update to happen using the Mac as the Proxy Server....too confusing for the likes of me....

So finally, when I checked the option to use an already established connection it worked a treat!

Problem solved.

Its a tricky situation for a relative newb when your talking Mac and PC....which on will help....in this case it was the PC guys who helped and I was covering my bases by posting on the Mac forum as well....

Thanks for your post

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.