iPhone Tethering plan: how does the 2GB "allowance" work?

Reaction score
I just signed up AT&T 5GB data plan, with includes Wifi tethering. One thing I am confused about is the "2GB allowance" for tethering. I know that the second highest tier is 3GB, which does not include tethering. So, my question is, when they talk about "2GB allowance", does this mean I am only allowed to "tether" 2GB worth of data (and thus once I've used 2GB via tethering, I won't be able to tether any data again until the next month, although I will still be able to use the rest of the 3GB on the iPhone, or, if I wanted, could I tether all 5GB worth my available data if I never use any data on the iPhone alone?

Thanks for any help,
James

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'll have to look into this, as I have the 5GB Tethering Plan and am not aware of any 2GB allowance.

EDIT: I could not find any reference to a 2GB allowance. As far as I know, the 5GB can be divided between iPhone, iPad or any other tethered device however you wish.

OP
J
Reaction score
Bump does anyone have any idea? If my question is not clear, here it is paraphrased:

With the AT&T 5GB Data Pro plan, and I only allowed to use 2GB of the 5GB for tethering, or could I use more if wanted?

Thanks for any help

EDIT: I posted before reading Razormac's edit, thank you Razormac I believe you are right.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.