Easy question: aligning files inside a folder?

Reaction score
Files always land exactly where I drop them inside a folder. I want them to be all nice and tidy. Did a Google search but the one thing that keeps coming up is how to align desktop folders, which I already know how to do.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On the bar up top when in a window, click on View. You should see Clean Up and Arrange by.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Better yet, if you use Icon View, open Show View Options from the View menu. Select the option from Arrange By that you like. Anything but None will give you a tidy arrangement. Do this at the HD level and then select Use as Defaults if you want enclosed folders to adhere to the same arrangement. If you've done this to an enclosed folder, it probably won't get reset. I like Snap to Grid because it allows me to arrange icons in any order, but still have that tidy look.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.