What's the best Macbook for software development?

Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm a computer science student and right now I have a Macbook 13' (2006 model) that, so far, has been doing great as the only programming I'm doing is Java so it runs Eclipse or Netbeans smoothly. However, soon I'll start to do some other applications and I'll also start programing in C++ and even assembly and, among other things, I'll surely need to run Windows (either in virtual machine or bootcamp) for some other work.

Therefore, I'm going for a new laptop, and my doubt is between MBA or MBP. I do feel inclined towards MBA as I carry the computer with me everyday however I also want a reliable working machine (that is, reliable machine for software development) and given this perhaps the MBP is a better solution.

Anyways, I was looking for advice from experienced programmers that could tell me which macbook would be better for me.

Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm sure, if you're doing basic work, the MBA would work. However, in the long run, you might be better served with the MBP especially if your coding requires more system power to do compilation (or any other task). What's your budget?

OP
A
Reaction score
My budget is up to $2k. And I'm also looking for a computer for the next 5 years, which means it will my include my early professional works, so that's why I'm not sure the MBA will be enough or if I'll regret not getting a MBP now...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'd say given your financial flexibility and potential professional needs, the MBP would be a much better choice (especially if you're looking for longevity).

Reaction score
I'm following a software engineering degree and i have a MBP. Never noticed any problem with it regarding my work. I just have to have windows installed since certain tools are not compatible with Mac OS. Only the two programs that requires high system resources (from programming tools i have used) were Visual studio and the Android Development package.

I think even a MBA would be enough for most of the work if its just programming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
I do some Java programming and moved up from my old 2006 Macbook to a new 13" Pro after debating slightly between the air as well and I would highly recommend it. THe Air's storage space is far too limited and because Lion likes to use more RAM than Snow did trying to work in a windows VM would be tough. THe 13" Pro isn't that heavy either and it doesn't weigh me down too much when carrying it around school all day. With the ability to run a dual HDD setup and use up to 16gb of RAM the Pro can be upgraded to suite your needs as time elapses, and since the i7 models are in your Price range you'll have enough power for your projects for quite a while.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm coming back to this topic as with the new models out there now I'm really going for a new macbook. Again, I want a machine for software development, that'll my main use. So, to sum it up:

2012 MacBook Pro 15" Retina Display: the top-MBP, however will I really need a retina display?? I'll probably be spending money in a feature that's more suitable to video or photograph editors, not me (although I'm not sure if in the future I might do some programming requiring more graphical power. So, perhaps the €2200 it too much for what I need, in a machine I won't be able to upgrade at all...

2012 MacBook Air 13": given the inability to upgrade the machine, I'd definitely go for the immediate 8GB RAM and i7 processor, which would put it around €1800. The 8GB RAM together with SSD would definitely make the Air a fast machine but, like the Retina, no upgrades in the future. But, it's thickness and 1kg-weight makes it perfect for a student like me to carry it around every day...

2011 Macbook Pro 13": with the new models out there, I can't overlook this powerful machine at just €900. So, low price for a great machine, easily upgradable to 8GB in case in need it. Cons, the HD instead of SSD and the graphics is just an Intel HD 3000 with 384MB of shared memory. I would rather get the graphics of a 15" model but I think it's out of stock already...

So, would love for your feedback...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
How much do you need graphics? How good is your current graphics card and how far is if from suiting your needs? If your current setup is near level or better than the HD3000 and inadequate I would look at the 15" models if not the 13" machines are still quite good. Keep in mind that all Pro models have the retina display so you won't miss out on that by getting a 13".

If graphics is no longer an issue check out the 13" Pro i5 or the i7 if you think you'll need more power. Remember that like the previous model you can upgrade to 16gb of RAM if need be. As for the lack of an SSD, you can get one from places like OWC for a reasonable price, it will be smaller than the 15"s OEM one (unless you want to spend a load of money) but with a data doubler kit which can be found on eBay these days really cheap you could install a SATA HDD in place of where the SuperDrive whent for extra storage.

As for the Air models storage and RAM really let them down, because as soon as you need more of any you can't upgrade it. Unless you know for sure you won't need more than 8gb RAM (which is very possible) and don't need more inboard storage than the Air offers than I'd get a Pro. The 13" models are light enough not to cause problem and the new 15" models look like there are also similar in that regard.

Good luck!

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I made up my mind and got the previous 13" MBP (i5 processor, 4GB RAM). After thinking carefully, I think this machine has enough specs for what I need it to do, besides, a discounted price also is an important consideration.

I'm loving it, considering that my previous model was a 2006 MB intel 2-duo! The non-upgradable nature of air made me to forget about it, has with this MBP I can easily put some extra RAM or a SSD in a couple of years and basically I'll have a brand-new machine in the future. I just think this MBP will have a longer lifespan than air, considering my needs...

thanks for your advice...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the input, I made up my mind and got the previous 13" MBP (i5 processor, 4GB RAM). After thinking carefully, I think this machine has enough specs for what I need it to do, besides, a discounted price also is an important consideration.

I'm loving it, considering that my previous model was a 2006 MB intel 2-duo! The non-upgradable nature of air made me to forget about it, has with this MBP I can easily put some extra RAM or a SSD in a couple of years and basically I'll have a brand-new machine in the future. I just think this MBP will have a longer lifespan than air, considering my needs...

thanks for your advice...

That's the exact same one I got haha :) Good luck with your new machine!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.