Copy from external hdd to time capsule

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wanting to know whether it was possible to copy say all of my music to an external hdd and then plug it into time capsule and them copy it over at USB speed.

I have about 600GB of music and a time machine backup is going to take 7 days and just to copy the music it is going to take 6 days. That is using my wireless transfer speed as my internet isn't as good as it could be.

Is there a faster way that i can achieve what i am after.

Could i just connect my MBP via usb to the time capsule and back up via USB this way?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Adam

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You can't connect the MBP to the Time Capsule via USB AFAIK. If you copy the music to an external drive first then copy that to the Time Capsule you're copying the data twice so I doubt there is a time savings there.

As I see it there are two options:
1. Connect the MBP to the Time Capsule via ethernet and copy that way, or
2. Copy the music to an extern al drive then attach the drive to the Time Capsule. Leave the music on the drive and don't copy it to the Time Capsule. I have been running my media collection that way for quite a while band it works nicely. You have to enter The iTunes preferences and point it to the drive but that is easy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.