Lion vs. Mountain Lion

Reaction score
I am in the process of researching macs and I am planning on getting my new mac book this summer. I have always been a PC user and I am really excited about getting a mac. My dell is on its last legs and I need a new computer. I was wondering if I should just go ahead and get the macbook pro with Lion on it, or if it is worth it to wait for Mountain Lion to come out.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Do you need a computer now?
Yes: Buy now
No: Buy when you need a computer "now"

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I am in the process of researching macs and I am planning on getting my new mac book this summer. I have always been a PC user and I am really excited about getting a mac. My dell is on its last legs and I need a new computer. I was wondering if I should just go ahead and get the macbook pro with Lion on it, or if it is worth it to wait for Mountain Lion to come out.

Thanks!

Based on recent history the upgrade cost from Lion to Mt Lion should be minimal (Snow Leopard and Lion were both $29 USD). In my opinion if you want a MacBook Pro now, get it and enjoy it. If you can wait, there is a potential for a refresh on the MBP line this summer.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you buy a knew computer this summer Mountain Lion may be a free upgrade depending upon how long a period of time elapses between when you purchase and when Mountain Lion is released. In the past Apple has offered this to machines purchased a certain number of days before the new OS was released (don't remember if it is 30 or .90 days). No guarantee they continue this but it would not surprise me if there was something like this in place.

Reaction score
Worst case you get one now and get to use Lion for quite some time before Mountain Lion comes out. If some of the features you find in Mountain Lion sound good to you then you can always upgrade for minimal (or no) cost. If you find Lion to your liking then you are off and running early.

I had the same decision about a month ago. Wait for the new model or just get one. I just bought one. I sometimes burn Linux DVD's and the internal DVD was a bonus there. With USB so prevalent for Linux these days it's not really an issue, but sometimes there are issues with USB so I like the DVD option without having an external DVD burner. I also find all the features in the current line plenty for what I do...surfing the web, writing, spreadsheet work, music, image and image editing. Sure, the new model may be slimmer and have better options, but so too will the next release after that. Worrying too much about it becomes and endless worry so I made the purchase and haven't looked back. My MB Pro is awesome and I really enjoy the elegance and simplicity of OS X.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am in the process of researching macs and I am planning on getting my new mac book this summer.

Since you're not ready at the moment to buy...why not hold off with this question until the Summer (when you will be ready to buy)...and see what OS is shipping with new computers at that time.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
one thing to keep in mind is Mountain lion when it comes out, software update to its osx will NOT be via software update via apple menu, I believe will update thru apple store.
the goal is if you are happy with lion, you can keep it going. Till you want to go with MT

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
one thing to keep in mind is Mountain lion when it comes out, software update to its osx will NOT be via software update via apple menu, I believe will update thru apple store.
the goal is if you are happy with lion, you can keep it going. Till you want to go with MT

Mountain Lion is going to be a new release of OS X and will need be purchased, and it is most likely going to be available the same way Lion was (through MAS or USB Flash drive). Software Update is for free updates to the existing version of the OS, not paid upgrades..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Mountain Lion is going to be a new release of OS X and will need be purchased, and it is most likely going to be available the same way Lion was (through MAS or USB Flash drive). Software Update is for free updates to the existing version of the OS, not paid upgrades..
Do not misunderstood me, the mt lion is going to cost money, what I meant is Lion osx itself
can be held on till you are going to buy the ML. The software update of ML will most likely not coming from software update. This give some one with Lion osx keep using lion osx, until one deems necessary for MT lion.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do not misunderstood me, the mt lion is going to cost money, what I meant is Lion osx itself
can be held on till you are going to buy the ML. The software update of ML will most likely not coming from software update. This give some one with Lion osx keep using lion osx, until one deems necessary for MT lion.

Yes, that's how it's always worked. Software Update within a particular version of OS X provides updates for that version only, never an other version (older or newer)..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.