Using Seagate external hard drive

Reaction score
I'm trying to backup my iTunes music folder to my Seagate external hard drive, but its asking me to delete everything on my external before adding anything else to it.

Has anyone used a Seagate external w/ their mac? What's the easiest way to transfer my iTunes music from my mac to my PC? Any feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5

OS-X: 10.6.8

External Hard Drive: Seagate Free Agent Desktop

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What backup program are you using to make the backup? If it's Time Machine, the external hard drive will be re-formatted to the Mac OS Journaled file system. You can transfer your entire music library from your Mac to your PC but you'll need to use an external hard drive or flash drive with enough capacity and formatted to a common file system. The FAT-32 file system is common to both Mac and PC.

Reaction score
Lots of people use Seagate external hard drives on their Macs. I have two. The issue is figuring out how the drive is formatted, and your software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.