Parallels 7 VM/VPN Issue

Reaction score
I have a strange issue. I just got an air, installed Parallels with a windows 7 machine and Outlook. I joined the vm to our domain and all was perfect. I would VPN in through Mac osx, then fire up Outlook in Coherence mode and it just worked. All the apps did. Worked for weeks. Then all of a sudden, Outlook would not connect to Exchange any longer. Nor do the admin tools such as ADS Users and Computers. Outlook just does not connect while AD gives this error:

"Naming information cannot be located because:
The system detected a possible attempt to compromise security.

This is strange. I can ping all the machines on the domain and everything.

Any ever experience this or have any ideas?

Thanks

mi

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Where did the OS disc come from? Was it an enterprise edition install of Win7?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it was why?

It sounds like an issue with KMS. I would try bringing it to the internal network and removing/re-joining it to the domain.

More info here:

Volume Activation Deployment Guide

If the issue persists, you may need to look into getting a MAK activation (again, see above for details).

OP
P
Reaction score
It sounds like an issue with KMS. I would try bringing it to the internal network and removing/re-joining it to the domain.

More info here:

Volume Activation Deployment Guide

If the issue persists, you may need to look into getting a MAK activation (again, see above for details).

Funny you mention Kms when I am on internal network it's fine. In the past I tried rejoining the domain, worked for a week and ten stopped again when going through VPN. Maybe I will use another windows install. Think that will work?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Funny you mention Kms when I am on internal network it's fine. In the past I tried rejoining the domain, worked for a week and ten stopped again when going through VPN. Maybe I will use another windows install. Think that will work?

Most likely. Parallels is more geared to the consumer market. I would have recommended VMWare Fusion instead to work with an enterprise edition of Win7.

OP
P
Reaction score
Most likely. Parallels is more geared to the consumer market. I would have recommended VMWare Fusion instead to work with an enterprise edition of Win7.

I have vm fusion as well. You think this exact set up would not be an issue using that?
I just use parallels because it works so well. Love coherence mode.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have vm fusion as well. You think this exact set up would not be an issue using that?
I just use parallels because it works so well. Love coherence mode.

I do. And if it doesn't, you'll at least be able to get better support.

VMWare has an almost identical feature set, including what they refer to as "Unity" mode (does the same thing as Coherence).

OP
P
Reaction score
I do. And if it doesn't, you'll at least be able to get better support.

VMWare has an almost identical feature set, including what they refer to as "Unity" mode (does the same thing as Coherence).

Tried VMware fusion, looks good, but I did notice it used a lot more CPU than Parallels. At rest doing nothing it uses no less than 20% of the resources. That is a downer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried VMware fusion, looks good, but I did notice it used a lot more CPU than Parallels. At rest doing nothing it uses no less than 20% of the resources. That is a downer.

I don't see the same. Which version are you using? Are there any background processes running (like AV software) that are consuming the guest's CPU at all.

OP
P
Reaction score
I don't see the same. Which version are you using? Are there any background processes running (like AV software) that are consuming the guest's CPU at all.

No no AV running. Very standard build, and only office really loaded. I allowed time for the indexing in Outlook to complete as well as windows.
I am a new convert to Macs, and one thing that surprised me is how much time I worry about resources, and heat. I have never needed to dedicate so much time to making sure the computer doesn't heat up to 96C and stay there. I am using a late model 2011 Macbook Air i5 with 256 ssd and 4gb ram. Coming from a bullet proof Thinkpad that never ever heated up even with max usage for hours.. also was an i5.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No no AV running. Very standard build, and only office really loaded. I allowed time for the indexing in Outlook to complete as well as windows.
I am a new convert to Macs, and one thing that surprised me is how much time I worry about resources, and heat. I have never needed to dedicate so much time to making sure the computer doesn't heat up to 96C and stay there. I am using a late model 2011 Macbook Air i5 with 256 ssd and 4gb ram. Coming from a bullet proof Thinkpad that never ever heated up even with max usage for hours.. also was an i5.

Interesting. I won't say that mine runs cool as a cucumber with a VM running in the background, but it generally does pretty well unless I'm running something taxing. Did you dedicate plenty of memory to the Win7 VM? I think VMWare defaults to 1GB. 2-4GB would probably be a better fit and will cut down on swapping.

I don't really monitor the temps on my i7 MacBook Pro. Running a browser and mail will usually keep it pretty cool. Start running intensive tasks and it will get warm, but never uncomfortably so.

With that said, bear in mind that the entire body is aluminum, which is an excellent conductor. So, you may want to consider a rubberized/plastic shell. I use an Incipio Feather and find that it works well and completely insulates the body, even when it does run warm.

OP
P
Reaction score
Interesting. I won't say that mine runs cool as a cucumber with a VM running in the background, but it generally does pretty well unless I'm running something taxing. Did you dedicate plenty of memory to the Win7 VM? I think VMWare defaults to 1GB. 2-4GB would probably be a better fit and will cut down on swapping.

I don't really monitor the temps on my i7 MacBook Pro. Running a browser and mail will usually keep it pretty cool. Start running intensive tasks and it will get warm, but never uncomfortably so.

With that said, bear in mind that the entire body is aluminum, which is an excellent conductor. So, you may want to consider a rubberized/plastic shell. I use an Incipio Feather and find that it works well and completely insulates the body, even when it does run warm.
You're right, right now it does have 1 gb ram allocated, wouldn't giving it more take away from the Mac's performance? I will def try it.

As far as the aluminum.. wouldn't putting a rubber case on it actually keep it from dissipating the heat out and keep it in?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're right, right now it does have 1 gb ram allocated, wouldn't giving it more take away from the Mac's performance? I will def try it.

It will if you don't have adequate memory. I recommend 8GB for the host if you're going to dedicate 4GB to the VM.

As far as the aluminum.. wouldn't putting a rubber case on it actually keep it from dissipating the heat out and keep it in?

To some extent, but most of the heat is blown out the duct at the base of the lid. It will also naturally rise from the palm rest. I've used a shell on my MBP since about two weeks after I bought it and never noticed any appreciable increase in heat as a result.

OP
P
Reaction score
It will if you don't have adequate memory. I recommend 8GB for the host if you're going to dedicate 4GB to the VM.

To some extent, but most of the heat is blown out the duct at the base of the lid. It will also naturally rise from the palm rest. I've used a shell on my MBP since about two weeks after I bought it and never noticed any appreciable increase in heat as a result.

I wish I can do 8, I have a macbook air.. 4 gb is the max. so I allocated 2 to the vm. I will see if that makes it better.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish I can do 8, I have a macbook air.. 4 gb is the max. so I allocated 2 to the vm. I will see if that makes it better.

Ah, OK - that could be part of the problem, I thought you had a MacBook Pro.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Airs ran warmer, simply because they don't have as much ducting to vent the heat. One of the compromises for such a thin design, I suppose.

Maybe try 1.5GB. OS X 10.7 really likes to have a minimum of 2GB - it's a hog that way.

OP
P
Reaction score
well right off the bat seems like it is much calmer.. I lowered to 1.5, Ill see how it goes. Really enjoy coming to Mac coming from Windows.. I am a sys admin so I need certain tools, but keeping up after the heat has been making me nuts! This Air fell on my laptop, if I had the choice I would have opted for the pro.. but I have to say this i5 Air is quite fast and runs everything pretty well. Thanks again for all the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.