Switcher fears

Reaction score
I am oh so close to a 27" iMac purchase, and these issues wouldn't likely sway me, but I do have a few fears. As silly as they may sound, they're fairly big issues.

My fears all kind of revolve around the mouse and keyboard. The Magic Mouse looks and seems really cool. However, when I used it for a while in store, I wasn't sure I liked it. It's so small that my hand seemed to cramp up after any prolonged use. I'm not sure that was a good test, though, as I was standing instead of sitting and I normally brace my wrist on a gel pad, which I couldn't do in the store. I currently use a Logitech MX Revolution and really like it. It's very comfortable, tracks very quickly, and the free rolling wheel works great. I realize that I could likely just use this mouse with the iMac, but I would really like to switch over completely, if at all possible.

Here are my questions:

1) Does anyone find the Magic Mouse really, really slow? When I tried it in the store, I had to move the mouse half way across the desk to get the pointer completely across the screen. I have dual 24" monitors at home, and I can move the mouse pointer from the far side of one monitor to the far side of the other without moving the mouse more than about an inch. In my switch to iMac, I would be going with two 27" displays, and it looks like I would have the run the Magic Mouse halfway across the room to get the pointer across both screens. I went in to settings and maxed everything out, but it was still pretty pathetic. I tried the touch pad, and it was a little better, but not much. I'm not sure I could live with that. Is this a problem with OSX or with the mouse itself? I'm afraid that even if I use my MS mouse, it's still going to be painfully slow if the problem is with OSX. I like my mouse pointer to really boogie.

2) How can I live without my right-click context sensitive menus? I realize that the Magic Mouse now has the option to right-click. However, does most software support right-click menus now? If there is no menu in the software, then the right-click won't be all that useful. My fear is that it will be difficult to get at the bulk of the software functionality. With Windows, you can pretty much do everything with the popup menus without having to move your mouse very far or remember 1,000 key combinations. I realize that OSX will be a new way of thinking. I'm just wondering if there is still some type of easy way to get at the functionality related to a specific area of the screen. Are the options all still there somewhere?

3) Does the Magic Mouse work very good for scrolling? It seems pretty slick. Scroll like you do on the iPad. However, I'm wondering if that gets really hard on the hand after a while. The free rolling mouse wheel on my MS mouse makes it so effortless to scroll. I'd like to switch to the Magic Mouse to gain the extra gestures it supports, but am wondering if you find that you don't scroll much with the mouse due to hand fatigue.

4) The keyboard looks oh, so cool, but do you get used to the different feel? The keys feel so different from a traditional keyboard. They should be better, as they don't have to travel as far, but I sense it takes some getting used to. Due you find you really like the keyboard after using it for a while? I also wish they had a backlit keyboard for the iMac.

I'm really interested in anyone's impressions of what it was like switching to the bluetooth keyboard and Magic Mouse, both when starting out and after using them for a while.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac27" MBP17" MBA13" ATV Ipad3 Iphone4S TC AEBS
Mice and keyboards can be changed to suit your needs...I find the MM is fine, but others simply switch them out for another product. The keys on the Apple wifi KB are too close together for my liking, so I use a different one.

In short, the KB and the MM should not be issues you need concern yourself about when making your purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
1) you can easily turn the tracking speed up in preferences, it takes about an inch of mouse movement for me to go from one corner to the other on my 27" imac screen

2) as you pointed out right click is easy to turn on, i have it on, and as far as im aware all context menus are available in all apps i use.

3)scrolling is excellent, nothing else to say really.

4) the main downside i find to the keyboard is the @ symbol in the wrong place, even though i have the british keyboard with the £ sign etc, the @ is still in the american layout, i still constantly hit the wrong key. I have no issues personally with the key travel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
I have combined a Logitech Performance MX with both the Logitech Control Centre and Hyperdock (see the Appstore). I find the Magic Mouse to be very un-ergonomical. Shape and sliding properties are awkward, IMO. I did have a corded G5, which is my best-liked mouse, but that one does not work with LCC. So I bought the Performance MX. You could try Steermouse + Hyperdock (both not free), or BetterTouchTool (donation-ware) with your Revolution first. BTT lets you configure the buttons of any mouse, including the Apple's, and also the windows snapping behavior. Personally, I like that...

With the G5, I originally ran into some problems I blamed on the mouse drivers/ BTT, but I later found out a faulty memory module might have been to root of the problem. It manifested itself by repeating a LMB-click in an endless loop. BTT is essentially free, so try it out.

The Apple keyboard is OK, but if you are planning to do some intense typing have a look at the Matias Tactile Pro. As soon as budget allows, I m going to get me one of these!

Thymen

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Im really not a fan of the magic mouse. As you said, its too small and low. Dont particularly like the way it tracks either.

Just grab yourself a decent third party one. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
The Magic Mouse does take some getting used to, but it works just like any other mouse on any other OS, essentially. There are settings you can change to get it to move the way you want, and a right click always brings up a context menu.

The design isn't for everyone, though, so you can always just get a different mouse that feels better to you. It'll still work the same.

Reaction score
I found MM too small and use a standard USB wireless Logitech mouse. I use the Magic Trackpad for gesture interfacing. Over time, I have been picking up keyboard commands too.

Reaction score
I am oh so close to a 27" iMac purchase, and these issues wouldn't likely sway me, but I do have a few fears. As silly as they may sound, they're fairly big issues.

My fears all kind of revolve around the mouse and keyboard. The Magic Mouse looks and seems really cool. However, when I used it for a while in store, I wasn't sure I liked it. It's so small that my hand seemed to cramp up after any prolonged use. I'm not sure that was a good test, though, as I was standing instead of sitting and I normally brace my wrist on a gel pad, which I couldn't do in the store. I currently use a Logitech MX Revolution and really like it. It's very comfortable, tracks very quickly, and the free rolling wheel works great. I realize that I could likely just use this mouse with the iMac, but I would really like to switch over completely, if at all possible.

Here are my questions:

1) Does anyone find the Magic Mouse really, really slow? When I tried it in the store, I had to move the mouse half way across the desk to get the pointer completely across the screen. I have dual 24" monitors at home, and I can move the mouse pointer from the far side of one monitor to the far side of the other without moving the mouse more than about an inch. In my switch to iMac, I would be going with two 27" displays, and it looks like I would have the run the Magic Mouse halfway across the room to get the pointer across both screens. I went in to settings and maxed everything out, but it was still pretty pathetic. I tried the touch pad, and it was a little better, but not much. I'm not sure I could live with that. Is this a problem with OSX or with the mouse itself? I'm afraid that even if I use my MS mouse, it's still going to be painfully slow if the problem is with OSX. I like my mouse pointer to really boogie.

2) How can I live without my right-click context sensitive menus? I realize that the Magic Mouse now has the option to right-click. However, does most software support right-click menus now? If there is no menu in the software, then the right-click won't be all that useful. My fear is that it will be difficult to get at the bulk of the software functionality. With Windows, you can pretty much do everything with the popup menus without having to move your mouse very far or remember 1,000 key combinations. I realize that OSX will be a new way of thinking. I'm just wondering if there is still some type of easy way to get at the functionality related to a specific area of the screen. Are the options all still there somewhere?

3) Does the Magic Mouse work very good for scrolling? It seems pretty slick. Scroll like you do on the iPad. However, I'm wondering if that gets really hard on the hand after a while. The free rolling mouse wheel on my MS mouse makes it so effortless to scroll. I'd like to switch to the Magic Mouse to gain the extra gestures it supports, but am wondering if you find that you don't scroll much with the mouse due to hand fatigue.

4) The keyboard looks oh, so cool, but do you get used to the different feel? The keys feel so different from a traditional keyboard. They should be better, as they don't have to travel as far, but I sense it takes some getting used to. Due you find you really like the keyboard after using it for a while? I also wish they had a backlit keyboard for the iMac.

I'm really interested in anyone's impressions of what it was like switching to the bluetooth keyboard and Magic Mouse, both when starting out and after using them for a while.

Thanks.

Ironically, considering Apple is often credited with popularizing the mouse in the first place, Apple just can't seem to make a really good one. I used the magic mouse for a long time because it came with my iMac, but there's not getting around the fact that it's just a textbook case of fashion over function. Many times the mouse would register the wrong action (performing a scroll when I wanted to click, for example) which is horrible for games. I bought a nice chunky logitech mouse, and my wrist is happy again.

As for right clicking, macs have had it for years

C

chas_m

1) Does anyone find the Magic Mouse really, really slow?

It's adjustable. Not an issue.

2) How can I live without my right-click context sensitive menus?

All Mac apps have contextual menus. Again, a non-issue.

3) Does the Magic Mouse work very good for scrolling?

Effortless. I'm really surprised you didn't notice this IMMEDIATELY in your trial. By comparison, any scroll wheel requires much more physical and conscious effort. It sounds like that MM you tried hadn't been set in settings at all.

4) The keyboard looks oh, so cool, but do you get used to the different feel?

All I can say to this is I do thousands of words per day on mine. The "chiclet" style is now actually pretty standard across all keyboards for notebooks I've seen, Mac or PC. i know the iMac isn't a notebook, I'm just saying that Apple uses a standard keyboard type. Personally I've been in love with it since 2006.

But it's certainly no big deal to use a different keyboard (Mac-specific or generic PC) if you prefer.

Thanks.

Keep a quick-charger and use rechargables. Turn the mouse and kb off when you're done for the day to save battery life. You might want to check out a Magic Trackpad as well, I don't have one but everyone I know who does just raves about them.

Next time, don't be afraid to visit the Mouse or Trackpad settings on the machine you are testing (if at an Apple dealer, ask for guidance on this). Set it to the way you'd want it at home and give it a try.

It took me a bit (about 15 minutes or so) to adjust to "natural scrolling" after 30 years of doing it the other way, but now it really is natural. And I love what Apple have done with the physics of it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have been using the BT keyboard for a while now and the trackpad since shortly after it first appeared. Even with hours of daily use I can sometimes go a few weeks without recharging the batteries.

Even if I forget to plug the rechargeable batteries in, If I plug them in when the keyboard or trackpad is getting low by they are done charging before the batteries in the keyboard die. I am using batteries and a charger I bought at one of the national big box stores not the ones sold at the Apple store. Works fine.

Reaction score
About your keyboard observation: after a year into using the wired Apple keyboard, I still seem to have trouble typing on it. I haven't switched though because I like its elegant compactness so much. There are full size aftermarket Apple-compatible keyboards out there. Or I think one can use any "Windows" keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
OP, I'm guessing the magic mouse wasn't properly configured where you tried it. I don't know why the people at the apple stores aren't smart enough to figure this out, this isn't the first time I've heard someone complain about certain things that we mac users know can be easily changed.

That's probably why you didn't 'immediately' fall in love with it and buy the iMac and buy 10,000 shares in apple on the spot :)

As mentioned you have options. I hated the MM and apple's keyboard at first, but unlike some who immediately love it, it took some time to get used to it, I actually like it. The MM became usable only after I downloaded an app called magicPrefs , it gave options apple didn't seem to have and should.

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
OP, I'm guessing the magic mouse wasn't properly configured where you tried it. I don't know why the people at the apple stores aren't smart enough to figure this out, this isn't the first time I've heard someone complain about certain things that we mac users know can be easily changed.

That's probably why you didn't 'immediately' fall in love with it and buy the iMac and buy 10,000 shares in apple on the spot :)

As mentioned you have options. I hated the MM and apple's keyboard at first, but unlike some who immediately love it, it took some time to get used to it, I actually like it. The MM became usable only after I downloaded an app called magicPrefs , it gave options apple didn't seem to have and should.

Thanks for your reply. I did find my way in the preferences on the iMac and set the speed to max. It was better, but still not where I like it. However, several people have now mentioned MagicPrefs and have indicated that it can make the tracking speed much faster than Apple's max, so it sounds like that would solve the issue. Otherwise, yes, I fell in love with it and just about bought it on the spot. It's like an infatuation, now :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
ha ha, careful, they have many nifty gadgets so keep your visa card under lock and key. I stay far away from apple stores unless I need to go, and certainly don't go hunting through apple's online store. waay... too.. easy.

I think the magic prefs do speed it up well. I use a 30" monitor, so I have to zip it up or get carpal trying to wield the thing around.

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for all the great info. I think I'm going to try the track pad for a while, with the MM nearby for cases where the pad isn't as good. I played with the track pad in the store some more, and have become quite attached to it. The only think I wasn't sure about was drag-and-drop with it, as it seems a bit awkward trying to push down on the pad and drag at the same time. I found myself pressing the pad with my thumb and then doing a "light" drag with my finger. However, other than that, I really like it.

I had a good laugh, though. I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada and there are no Apple stores in my province :( The closest one is about a 5 hour drive. Therefore, I have to settle with looking at iMacs in Best Buy. Unfortunately, I think I know more about Mac computers than most of the people there. The joke was, I was there asking some questions, which none of them could answer, but a bystander was quite intrigued. In the end, he wanted me to answer questions about the iMac for him, even though I said I don't even own one. The Best Buy folks all stood around and listened as we discussed Macs. Pretty sad, actually. We need more Apples here!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
You can always just plug your Logitech MX Revolution into your Mac and use it too. Just about every mouse and keyboard that works on PCs works on Macs too. Even Microsoft"s creme de la creme of mice, the Arc Touch works on Mac.

OP
Lastmboy
Reaction score
You can always just plug your Logitech MX Revolution into your Mac and use it too. Just about every mouse and keyboard that works on PCs works on Macs too Even Microsoft"s creme de la creme of mice, the Arc Touch works on Mac.

Ya. That's always an option. I just figure that then I lose out on all the "gesture" features in OSX. Mind you, maybe a person could use the touch pad AND their favorite mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Being a Mac Pro user, ant back to the Mighty Mouse. The metal base of the Magic Mouse seems to have problems connecting at times through the metal case of the Mac Pro. As for the keyboard, they just look a little to start. If you are any sort of a touch typist no problems at all even for my sausage fingers to match my 100kg frame!

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for all the great info. I think I'm going to try the track pad for a while, with the MM nearby for cases where the pad isn't as good ... The only think I wasn't sure about was drag-and-drop with it, as it seems a bit awkward trying to push down on the pad and drag at the same time. I found myself pressing the pad with my thumb and then doing a "light" drag with my finger. However, other than that, I really like it.
I tried to go all-Trackpad on my iMac and this is the reason I started using a mouse again. Could not safely control dragging files and folders. Now I use them both together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
I have to move my Magic Mouse about 4 inches across my mouse-mat to get from lower left of my screen to upper right. But then I admit that it's a 52" plasma screen. lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.